Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd June 2007, 00:30

Scubapete is on a distinguished road
JU 87 crew member

Hi, i am a novice so please excuse my ignorance...i am trying to verify a pilot who flew a Junkers JU87 Stuka. His name is Wilhelm Baumgartner. I have been told he was a comrade of Ulrich Rudel. Any help in how to comfirm this would be much appreciated, regards Peter
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:57
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: JU 87 crew member

Hi! Are you a BAUMGARTNER?
If yes, we are distant relatives. I have been searching some Baumgartner who flew with Luftwaffe and who fought in the Whermacht, because I am a Baumgartner myself.
I suggest you to enter the SEARCH are ahead ( in blue ) and try the name Wilhelm Baumgartner. I do not know if they are the same, but there was a Wilhelm Baumgartner, Swiss born ( my Baumgartner family came from Glarus in Switzerland ) who flew with the Luftwaffe and achieved ace status. But he was a fighter pilot ( Me 109 ) with Jagdgeschwader 77 and was shot down in North Africa. ( I was searching about the RAF pilots who claimed Bf 109 that 11th April 1943 morning ).
There is other Baumgartner(s) who were awarded the Deutschen Kreuz in Gold too ( search DKiG winners ), but who were Transport pilots and Reconnaissance pilots. ( I will look at my archives - on my house and post to you later ). I never heard about this Baumgartner Stuka pilot, neither Rudel had met one Baumgartner. It is new stuff to me. Do you have more information about the epoch they met? Was at Graz, before the war? Was during the war?
Sincere and friendly yours

Adriano Baumgartner ( from Brazil )
Old 3rd June 2007, 05:46

Dear Adriano,

The Wilhelm Baumgartner i talk of is still alive. I think 89 or 90 years old now. I have been told by someone in Germany who worked for him and his brother many years ago. Well, this person bought a Tutima Chronograph watch from these 2 brothers. I now want to buy then watch so i want to know if this is true !. I have been told i can go to see Mr Baumgartner in Germany but i do not know of his health. He told my friend of many nighttime flight missons over Great Britain and how he used the Tutima Chronograph to help navigate. I will try to discover more for you.

regrads

pete
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:50
Alter Hase

Hello Peter!
Uau...that ´s good news to know he is still alive! From what you said, he probably flew with a Kampfgeschwader before joining SG 2 or St.G.2 with Rudel.
If you met him tell him that there are Baumgartners in Brazil that are keeping the tradition of flying...and ask him if he had brothers in the Luftwaffe or cousins. Maybe the Baumgartners I am telling you are relatives. The only Swiss born however was this Wilhelm Baumgartner from JG 77.
I will return with more data soon...

Adriano
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:56
Alter Hase

Hi Peter. I found the archive on the Deutschen Kreuz in Gold winners:
Obfw. Johann Baumgartner ( pilot from .4/KGrzbV 500 - possibly a Ju 52 pilot )
Oblt. Martin Baumgartner ( 2.(F)/ObdL - Reconn Squadron directly subordinated to the OKL )
Units4./KGrzbV 500

I know there was also a figher pilot from JG 26 named Baumgartner and a fighter pilot from JG 54 Baumgärtner.

Will find them at another archive and send you.

Sincerely

Adriano
Old 3rd June 2007, 20:01

Hi Adriano,

Many thanks for your reply. I am told this Baumgartner was a comrade of Rudel. I think from the same squadron. But i do not know how correct this is. His brother was also a pilot. I will try to ask for his name,

regards

Pete

This is a reply i have from Germany:

""About the history: I know the former and only owner personally because
in my youth I worked for his brothers company, this two was pilots
during the WWII and he told me lots of stories about night flight
missions over Great Britain with his STUKA Bomber and a other airplane
which I don’t remember what it was (A special night fighter)
This guy is still alive and about 89 or more years old already.
About the history: I know the former and only owner personally because
in my youth I worked for his brothers company, this two was pilots
during the WWII and he told me lots of stories about night flight
missions over Great Britain with his STUKA Bomber and a other airplane
which I don’t remember what it was (A special night fighter)
This guy is still alive and about 89 or more years old already.""

Also,

My German friend wrote :

""I am sorry I already told you all informations I have (what I remember
from 10 years ago) but may be some pilots use different planes during
the war?
I have no private informations about the birth place of Mr. Baumgärtner
but we are just 2 hours away from Swiss border so its thinkable that former generations came from Swiss.""