Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd August 2021, 13:02
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Help with German - Oberst identity

Good morning to all members.

Would it be possible to German speakers or those familiar with old German language, try to help me identifying the Family name of the Oberst in question?

Photo taken in October 1942....

I do not know what is written behind....

"J....fur die.....meiner..."

Name seems to start with A...and finish with KY (Augotzsky or Angotzky). I have tried to find a match as Aug...ky or An...ky on De Zeng Files (A-Z), but got no joy...so I assume I got something wrong with the Family Name.

Any help, most welcomed.

Adriano Baumgartner
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:30
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: Help with German - Oberst identity

Hello Adriano,

the text is
Dank und Anerkennung für die Paraphrase meines Lieblingsliedes .... (= thank and appreciation for the paraphrase of my favourite song ….)

Regards
Leo
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:38
Alter Hase

Thanks Leo!

I am in debt again with you....

Can you identify the first letter of his Family Name? Is it an A or an O?

I have been passing through ALL De Zeng's files to find a match....but seems I have been unlucky so far...

As OBERST I do have a Marchkowsky and Rogarsky (which seems to not fit)

Commencing with an "O" I do have an Opawsky, but only Oberleutnant rank..and this man is clearly an Oberst.

But will try to check all names ending with KY during the week...Thank you again!

Adriano
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:34
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Adriano -

I just searched all 4 sections of the Lw.OCS data base using the search term "ugot" and got no last names containing those four letters. All I got were 11 hits on the first name "Traugott". Is it possible this Oberst was Heer rather than Luftwaffe? I don't think we would have missed anyone with that high a rank who served in the World War II Luftwaffe. Another possibility might be a World War I veteran of that rank who remained at home in retired status during WWII due to crippling wounds from WWI that made him unfit for further duty?

Larry deZeng
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:28
Alter Hase

Hello Larry De Zeng!

Firstly, thank you for your immense and most valuable work with the Luftwaffe Officers List (A-Z). This has been a source of help in trying to match names behind old photographs for me and quite a number of members down here.

I shall put the full image down here so you can see. Not, he is wearing the Summerock (Weiss Uniform) with full rank of Oberst visible. Date behind is 4/10/42 and in the front October 1942.

I have been cracking my mind and checking all your files to find a match, believe me...Please do give me one or two days to re-size the image for uploading here...it is on another PC, ok?

Again, my huge thank you (and huge admiration) for your most valuable work

Adriano
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:31
Alter Hase

PS: where do you read "ugot" or see it on his Family name....which letter numbers?

First for me is eithre an A or O....and last seems to by KY with a probable Z (at least for me) before....

Do you understand or read "UGOT" in the middle section of his Name?

A.
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:46
Alter Hase

Here they are
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:17

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I think his name starts with 'Ang'.
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:22
Alter Hase

Viele Danke Vince...

Shall have a try on the files....

A.
Old 23rd August 2021, 00:20
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Back to you, Adriano.

"ugot" I interpreted to be the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th letters of his family name based on the black & white first photo.

Since my first post, I have tried both "torsk" and "torzk" but got no hits.

Maybe he was NSFK? Or a Wehrmacht Beamte? Abwehr? Or with the Auswärtigesamt with an honorary rank of Oberst in the Wehrmacht?

If you continue to come up empty-handed here, you could try The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section that's listed on the first page of the Axis History Forum ( https://forum.axishistory.com/index.php ) menu. The guys there have an amazing data base from das Dritten Reich Zeit (NS Zeit).

Good Hunting!

Larry deZ.