Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th February 2012, 11:50

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
8th USAAF raids 31 May 1944

Hello all,

It's a shot in the dark but who has damage assesment reports of the 8th USAAF bombing raids against the airfields of Florennes, Liege(?) and Gilze-Rijen?

The reason for asking, is that 'my' I./NJG 1 lost a He111 on 31 May 1944 but Venlo A/F was not attacked that day or preceding/following night... It's my educated quess that this old bird was destroyed elsewhere and then, only the airfields mentioned above seem a logical/possible option.

Any help is much appreciated! A good weekend!

Marcel Hogenhuis / Venlo
Old 25th February 2012, 10:50
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: 8th USAAF raids 31 May 1944

Hello Marcel,

Perhaps you've already seen this fairly new website http://www.hellothomas.org/eighthaf/index.php

which enables you to find by date, target and so on.

I see on 31 May 1944 three bombers hit targets of opportunity. Perhaps Venlo A/F was one of them?

Groet,

Leendert
Old 26th February 2012, 16:57

Hello Leendert,

First thanks for your response: I didn't know this site and had only an old Excel file from the AFHRA in which 8th USAAF and RAF Bomber Command raids were listed (or perhaps it was a Word file which I converted into Excel to have more search options, I don't know anymore).

A target of opportunity is also an option: thanks for that suggestion, haven't thought about this but therefore the debriefing reports and damage assesment reports are of much importance.

Well, I check your suggested site first, perhaps a new idea pops up. I also will check who has Roger Freeman's works at hand.

Again, many thanks, Marcel
Old 26th February 2012, 17:43
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

31 May 1944
Netherlands
"Unable to locate their primary target in France because of bad weather, 23 1st Bombardment Division B-17s attacked Gilze-Rijen Airdrome, and 12 1st Bombardment Division B-17s attack a marshalling yard."
[From Hammel, Air War Europa].

There is no evidence of any 8th Fighter Command attacks on these airdromes this date.

L.
Old 27th February 2012, 15:50

Hallo Larry,

Thank you very much for your additional info but now I am a bit confused, perhaps I misunderstood your last sentence. According to the website mentioned above 8th USAAF Fighter Command had its own mission 355 and they made attacks against Gütersloh and Hopsten.

Or do you mean that no fighter bombers of the force which made a diversional to Gilze-Rijen attacked as well ?

I am quite a novice when it comes to 8th USAAF as you can see, so if you could clearify this minor issue, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance, all the best, Marcel
Old 27th February 2012, 16:04
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Hogenhuis View Post
Hallo Larry,

Thank you very much for your additional info but now I am a bit confused, perhaps I misunderstood your last sentence. According to the website mentioned above 8th USAAF Fighter Command had its own mission 355 and they made attacks against Gütersloh and Hopsten.

Or do you mean that no fighter bombers of the force which made a diversional to Gilze-Rijen attacked as well ?

I am quite a novice when it comes to 8th USAAF as you can see, so if you could clearify this minor issue, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance, all the best, Marcel
Hi Marcel,

Yes, no 8th AF fighter bombing or strafing attacks were made on Florennes, Gilze-Rijen, Liege or other airfields in that immediate area on that date.

Larry
Old 28th February 2012, 09:18

Hello Larry,

Understood, thanks for that: it still doesn't rule out completely the possibility that this He111 was destroyed at one of those airfields by the diversional raid of the heavy bombers, but may perhaps increase the chance that this old bird was destroyed at one of the German A/F's mentioned earlier.

The best way to find out are still these damage assessment reports I guess , will focus on that now.

All the best and thanks again, Marcel