Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 5th May 2005, 02:22
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Hurricane article in Scale Aviation Modeller

Hi,
Well I suppose that these questions are realy aimed towards Steve Modell Dad and Tony Kearns.

The article in Scale Aviation Modeller for May 2005 by Richard Caruana, which is entitled Export Hawker Hurricanes was of interest to me.

Part One

Within the item there is a colour profile of a IIb serial number BE225 of the Netherlands East Indies Air Force, the a/c is shown with the Orange inverted triangle outlined in black.

My question on this is -

Although Hurricanes are known to have been used by that Force, was the profile of the Hurricane depicted taken from photo's of the actual aircraft and if so where can I find such a photo or photo's? ( if available to you and if possible could you please scan a copy to me please ).

Part two

In the text there is a mention of Hurricane's used by other lesser known users.

Quote "small numbers were delivered to the Persian Air Force and the Iraqi Air Force (post-war, the latter including two-seat trainers)."

My question on this is -

Is Mr Caruana mixed up here with Hurricanes and Furies with regard to Iraqi use of Hurricanes, as Persia is well known to have used both single and two seat Hurricanes while Iraq did have the single and two seat Furies.

Did Iraq have Hurricanes ( I have never heard this before ) in its service and what is known of their serial numbers ? If so could you please give any known references

Both Steven and Tony are noted in the articles acknowledgments, hence their
mention in the first para.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Old 5th May 2005, 16:11

Modeldad will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane article in Scale Aviation Modeller

I know I've see a pic of a Dutch Hurricane, but cannot seem to remember where. I have pix of them after capture by the Japanes, but none in Dutch markings.

As for the Iraqi Hurricanes, that is new to me also. The Persian AF ones are well documented. But Iraq?

I will look around for a Dutch picture.

Last edited by Modeldad; 6th May 2005 at 04:18.
Old 5th May 2005, 19:23
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

The Dutch Hurricane can be found on one of the Dutch Decal sheets dedicated to the NEI, possibly this is where Richard Caruana obtained his information. I do not recall seeing a photo to justify this, but it is hardly unreasonable to assume that the Dutch source may well have.....

Given the production rate of RC and other professional artists, it is hardly surprising that they don't always get the research from the finest sources. However, it is something else to accuse him of pure invention. We are all guilty of, at times, favouring ideas that suit our earlier assumptions.
Old 5th May 2005, 20:22

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

..perhaps not pure invention, but I read on another board that he was utilising a 40 year old issue of Scale Modelworld as a source for his Buffalo drawings...perhaps not a good idea, when the definitive work on this type was published only a few months ago..
Old 6th May 2005, 03:28
Alter Hase

Hi,

Thank you Steven and for your offer to search out photo.

Graham, thank you also i was unaware of the decal set.

Also falkeEins for you bit on Scale modelworld, i will have to look if I still have any .

Manny years ago i had made a modell of a Hurricane and the result was almost the same as the profile so I was not far off, my a/c had traces of old RAF colours under and above the wings though.

The Iraq bit is odd though, personnally I beleive he got mixed up with Iran, then again did Iran sell some on to iraq ??

night all and thanks

Alex

A
Old 6th May 2005, 12:45
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Given that the Buffaloes handed over directly (unit to unit) grew red/white/blue flags rather than the triangles, I do wonder a little about this scheme. However, some of the Hurricanes were handed over straight from the ferry, so these could have had the earlier markings. I don't know the date of the changeover.
Old 6th May 2005, 14:50

Tony Kearns

Hello,

I have to say that I am really not qualified to comment on the Hurricanes other than the Irish Air Corps. Over the years I have seen many illustrations of former Irish Air Corps aircraft in different magazines. The depiction of Richard Caruana's Irish Hurricane 103 is the most accurate that I have ever come across. It follows his Lysander in an earlier edition which is equally good.
Regards to all
Tony Kearns
Old 6th May 2005, 15:52
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modeldad
I know I've see a pic of a Dutch Hurricane, but cannot seem to remember where. I have pix of them after capture by the Japanes, but none in Dutch markings.

I will look around for a Dutch picture.
IIRC there is no photographic evidence available for Dutch Hurricanes, at least not ones showing their markings. Indeed I've seen (a number) of captured Hurricanes.

Looks like the Dutch crates saw little actions, since they missed radioes (and?). Caution proofed right, since on one radioless mission they were bounced (shortly after take off?) and decimated.

A couple of weeks ago I finished P.C. Boer's excellent history on the Air Ops over the NEI during the 1942 campaign. These Hurricanes were RAF issue, and given to the NEIAF, so there would be little chance of them getting the Dutch neutrality markings.

Could some of you attach a scan of said profile?

BTW still offering a copy of the first volume dealing with Borneo, including an introduction. http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=976

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 6th May 2005, 20:39

Modeldad will become famous soon enough

Ruy;

These are from the AJ Press book. I doubt much difference among profiles. The underside appears to be Sky. Fuselage roundels appear painted over.

Old 7th May 2005, 00:17
Alter Hase

Thank you Steven, for the profiles, BE225 is the one in the magazine I mentioned, but a/s has No Tropical chin intake and the camoflage is not the same looks slightly like a mirror image of the one shown here and the colours duller.

Perhaps some clever sole will post the profile here so it can be seen against yours seen above.

Alex

Last edited by Alex Smart; 7th May 2005 at 00:48.