Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th January 2005, 06:52

Greg
Use of Fi 156 Storch

I am trying to learn how (organizationally) the Germans employed the Fi 156 Storch. I have read that the Germans had both operational recon gruppes (Fernaufklarungsgruppe) comprised of long range recon planes like the Do 17 and tactical recon gruppes (Nahaufklarungsgruppe) comprised of planes like the Hs 126 and He 45 and 46. My understanding is that the Tactical recon gruppes were used for short range recon (50km) and battlefield observation (presumably calling down German artillery fire). I know that the Storch was used both as a liaison plane and a battlefield observation plane (as well as an ambulance).

Was the Storch employed in the tactical recon gruppes as an alternative to the Hs 126? "The Luftwaffe Data Book" by Dr. Alfred Price does not list the Storch in any of the gruppes in the various listed OBs, and none of the OBs I have found on the net list them either. If they were not employed in the tactical recon gruppes, were they separately attached to corps and divisions? I am assuming they were operated by the Luftwaffe, but I suppose they could have been operated by the German army in the same way that U.S. light aircraft like the Piper Grasshopper were operated by army ground forces' pilots (trained by the army airforce).

Any help would be appreciated!