Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st March 2020, 15:15
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Artillery Spotter Loss 18.9.44

The War Diaries of the 15th Scottish Div are on-line here:

https://www.15thscottishdivisionward...uk/war-diaries

There is a "Search All" button in the lower right which strings all the individual diaries together and allows searching in all diaries at once. I tried several terms but came up with nothing, maybe someone else will have better luck. You can even use the "Search All" to jump to the September entries for each of the units and quickly check activity on the 18th. (Use the phrase: Month and Year Sep) I found nothing about a shoot down.
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:49
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Perhaps our Luftwaffe experts have something about the cause of death of Stabsfeldwebel Walter Böker on 18 Sep 1944?

Regards,
Leendert
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:16
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

John,

This is not my focus or field of interest...but although the 2(H)./10 was not in operation anymore, doest it means that a spare (or lost from the archives) Fieseler Fi 156 Storch from that unit could not have stayed behind on loan onto another Field unit or attached to some WH unit?

Was it, eventually possible (I believe so) that a previously damaged machine could have been repaired and flown by a pilot without plane or unit (awaiting transfer, for instance)?

Considering the frame of time, the local (geographical area), the "Allied" pressure (units around - Market Garden), etc...this should not being discarded...the fellow who pointed out to that possibility surely does have (perhaps) more DATA about....

I remember reading a French book about the Maquis after D-Day and the shooting down of one of such Fi 156 by SAS troops...may find the book again...I tried before to find a match but got no joy....anyway...the on theory...it is possible...we do need now to find Documents to prove it...a werknummer....a Flugbuch...a crash site...

Fantastic thread by the way...Wish you all the luck to find out the answers that do need to be found...

A.
Old 2nd March 2020, 22:00

Luc Vervoort is an unknown quantity at this point

John,

The only information I had regarding Walter Böker was that he was intially buried at Leopoldsburg and that his remains were transferred to Lommel Volksbund cemetery on 10/03/1948 and that his unit was 2.(H)/10. This information is dating back from before 2000 and the source of this info was V.Berckmans, who did considerable research at the Lommel Volksbund cemetery and unfortunately passed away 20 years ago.

Best regards

Luc
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:52
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Fw Böker (spelled as Böcker) is mentioned as German casualty of 18 Sep 1944 on top of p. 89 here: https://www.academia.edu/17298919/Lo...eptember_1944_

Local account in Dutch of the Battle of the Bridges. Unfortunately no details of circumstances of his death.

Regards,
Leendert
Old 4th March 2020, 20:08
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

It all looks like he was killed in ground battles and that he previously belonged to 2.(H)/10. Many ground personnel of flying units and also even flying personnel were forced to FJ units to bolster the numbers. We need to check but this will take a while. Answers probably at WASt or VDK records.
Old 6th March 2020, 00:37
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

John, have you got any emails from me? No replies, so not sure if you are reading them.
Old 9th March 2020, 16:29
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

In spite of a recorded loss of 2.(H)/10 former personnel (this man recorded on the 1st Page of the thread), was there an AIRPLANE loss for a Fi 156 recorded that particular day at that geogaphical area?
Old 9th March 2020, 16:42
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

To Adriano: No, no known Fi 156 loss as far as I know.
To Franek: You mean recently? No email received.

John
Old 10th March 2020, 00:33
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

John
Send you an email.