Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th May 2009, 09:59

PlaneKrazy is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe pilot Werner Lvsche on U-219 ?

Quite by accident during a Google search I came across several Indonesian websites which talked about a Luftwaffe fighter pilot Werner Lvsche who is claimed to have arrived in Java aboard U-219.

Because I have done some research on Monsun boats it is quite correct that U-219 arrived at Djakarta in November 1944. Author John Bessant claims she had disassembled V-2 rockets in her cargo.

Indonesian websites claim Werner Lvsche escaped from Allied internment and fought with Indonesian nationalists against the Dutch after the war.

Assuming this Luftwaffe pilot was aboard U-219, what was the purpose of his voyage?

U-219 sailed from Bordeaux in August 1944 just after the Normandy landings.

It is heavily disputed whether any Me-262 or Me-163 ever reached Japan. I have no idea if this is related. The name is very similar to RLM test pilot Hans Werner Lerche. I don't know what became of Lerche in WW2 or whether this is the same person. Indonesians talk of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot so that would rule out Hans Werner Lerche, so who was this Werner Levche character ?

Anybody know please ?
Old 10th May 2009, 12:11

Karl
Re: Luftwaffe pilot Werner Lvsche on U-219 ?

Hello,

in the last days of ww2 Hans Werner Lerche transfered well known Do335, WNr 240 102, VG+PH, from Laerz-Rechlin via Prague-Ruzin and Lechfeld to Oberpfaffenhofen in Southern Germany (20.-23.04.45). He remained in Germany until his dead in 1994. So this is not your man.

"Lvsche" can not be correct as not pronounceable in German. Should this be "Lysche" ,"Lüsche" ,"Lusche" or something similar?

Karl
Old 10th May 2009, 12:37

Hans Mcilveen

Nothing to do with Hans-Werner Lerche at all. The name stands for two persons: Kriegsmarine NCO's Werner and Lösche. Lösche survived the war and its aftermath in Indonesia, Werner was killed in an accident. The Indonesian websites you refer to are probably all based on the article by Herwig Zahorka “Die Geschichte des deutschen Soldatenfriedhofs Arca Domas in Indonesien”.

Last edited by Hans Mcilveen; 10th May 2009 at 16:02.
Old 10th May 2009, 15:56

Thanks Hans

I did say I was unfamilar with the career of Hans Werner Lerche...

Quote:
What I said:

The name is very similar to RLM test pilot Hans Werner Lerche. I don't know what became of Lerche in WW2 or whether this is the same person. Indonesians talk of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot so that would rule out Hans Werner Lerche
I am not responsible either for the spelling of this name. I have taken the name and information directly from Indonesian websites.

Quote:
From militaryphotos.net website:

Setelah peristiwa itu, Inggris menyerahkan sekira 260 tentara Jerman kepada Belanda yang kemudian ditawan di Pulau Onrust, Kepulauan Seribu.
Tercatat pula, beberapa tentara Jerman melarikan diri dari Pulau Onrust, dengan berenang menyeberang ke pulau lain. Di antaranya, pilot pesawat angkatan laut bernama Werner dan sahabatnya Lvsche dari U-219.
Selama pelarian, mereka bergabung dengan pejuang kemerdekaan Indonesia di Pulau Jawa, bekerja sama melawan Belanda yang ingin kembali menjajah. Lvsche kemudian meninggal, konon akibat kecelakaan saat merakit pelontar api. (Kodar Solihat/”PR”)***
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...p/t-75558.html

Quote:
Tercatat pula, beberapa tentara Jerman melarikan diri dari Pulau Onrust,
dengan berenang menyeberang ke pulau lain. Di antaranya, pilot pesawat angkatan laut bernama Werner dan sahabatnya Lvsche dari U-219.
http://tonny-ss13.blog.friendster.co...ng-terlupakan/

http://forumbebas.com/printthread.php?tid=44499

http://www.yousaytoo.com/tag/sejarah?postlisttype=full
Old 10th May 2009, 16:10

Hans I read through your article. It suggests the Luftwaffe pilot on U-219 was Werner Unsetting, so who was he in the Luftwaffe ?

Anyone know why he was aboard a U-boat for Asia ?
Old 10th May 2009, 17:22
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

According to the U-Boot Operation book it left on 23-8-44 for transport duty in the Far East. On route it was attacked on 28-9-44 by two aircraft from the USS Tripoli shooting down an Avenger of VC-9 (Lt Gillespie) and arrived in Batavia on 11-12-44. On 6-5-45 it was taken over by the Japanese Navy as I 505 and was scrapped in 1948.
If there was a pilot on the voyage was the sub. equipped with a gyrocopter? See also http://www.uboat.net/boats/u219.htm,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 10th May 2009, 18:09

Hans Mcilveen

No, the article does not suggest Werner Unsetting. That is just a poor result of Google’s machine translation service. Look in the original text, Unsetting is not in there. Werner is a surname in this case. A more accurate translation of the paragraph would be:

“Two courageous men succeeded in breaking out by swimming to another island at night: after their escape navy flyer Werner and comrade Lösche of U-219 joined the Indonesian freedom fighters on Java and subsequently fought shoulder to shoulder for Indonesian independence against the Dutch forces wanting to restore the old colonial rule. Werner was later killed, probably while attempting to develop a flamethrower. Both are still honourably remembered by the Indonesian Government.”

Bootsmann Schorsch Werner was an ordinary Kriegsmarine petty officer who may have served in the German naval aviation branch at some point in time, not a rocket scientist by any means (…).

Unfortunately the U-219 did not carry a Bachstelze. In any case there is no evidence Bootsmann Werner was ever aboard this particular submarine. He could have been part of the crew of any German submarine, blockade runner or armed merchant cruiser that sailed for the Far East.

Last edited by Hans Mcilveen; 10th May 2009 at 19:39.
Old 15th May 2009, 13:50

crolick is on a distinguished road

I have Gefreiter Hans Loesche (born 24 IV 24) on U-219 crew-list. No Bootsmann Werner but those are incomplete lists so he might be a crew-member after all.
Old 12th January 2024, 14:02

Edward L. Hsiao is on a distinguished road

This is a very interesting story indeed.

Edward L. Hsiao