Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 21st October 2019, 00:33
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
RAAF Black Cats

Listed as temporarily unavailable. Perhaps someone has info about another outlet?

https://www.allenandunwin.com/browse...-9781760633066

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 21st October 2019, 03:57

Michael Louey is on a distinguished road
Re: RAAF Black Cats

I'm suprised it's listed as out of stock. It's been quite visible at most of the local Australian bookstores - I'm reading it right now.

I got mine from the local Dymock's chain which shows it as available.

https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/raaf...-9781760633066

Regards

Michael
Old 21st October 2019, 06:55

Edward is on a distinguished road

Also available from Book Depository (free shipping)

https://www.bookdepository.com/Raaf-...0026476&sr=1-1
Old 21st October 2019, 19:28
Alter Hase

Thank you both.

Ed
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:16
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

....and?....what about it??

I have already an Oz Cat book by David Vincent.

Does this one change anything or just give additional details about personal and specific mission details?

Cheers
Stig
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:09
Alter Hase

Hello Stig,

Can you provide the full title of the Oz Cat book?

Best,
Ed
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:24
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Ooops Ed (sorry)

Sure I can

Catalina Chronicle A history of RAAF operations: David Vincent
ISBN 0 9596052 0 7 (no publishing year mentioned, but first edition)

Cheers
Stig
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:09

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

David Vincent's "Catalina Chronicle" is the best overview of RAAF Catalina operations available.

RAAF Black Cats specializes in the anti-shipping mining operations and is a homage to the the author's brother.
(Also available through the Big-W department stores in Australia. Try their website, Big-W might post overseas?)

- and K-Mart in Aus:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/raa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

...geoff

Last edited by bearoutwest; 22nd October 2019 at 05:19. Reason: more details
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:44
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

One of the best books on the joint RAAF/US Mining campaign to date is Robert (Bob) Cleworth's:

The Night Shift: The Story of the RAAF Minelaying Catalinas that departed 'at the going down of the sun' taking over the night shift from other participants to neutralize the Japanese gains of mineral and oil resources in coalition with the US 7th Fleet 22 April 1943 - 1 July 1945,
Cleworth,Joseph Robert (Bob), MPhil.
Hill Top (NSW):Author,2015.

Based on material and evidence uncovered in research for a thesis that was awarded a Master of Philosophy Degree, 'BEWARE THIS HARBOR IS MINED', 2/Lt Douglas MacArthur, Manila, P.I. March 1904

Quite a mouthful, but the soft covered A4 book of 272 pages, consists of 16 chapters of details of the RAAF mining campaign. The book has a comprehensive bibliography, an adequate index, extensive endnotes and has many charts, maps, tables and photos.

I haven't received my copy of Cleworth's, The RAAF Black Cats, as yet, so I can't make a direct comparision of the contents. Be interesting to see what Cleworth has retained/discarded from his new title.

The Night Shift is still obtainable (at a reasonable price, not the grossly inflated sum wanted by some dealers) from the Rathmines Catalina Association. https://rathmines-catalina.com can't be more specific at the moment - got privacy issues with the site.

Stig, the first edition of David Vincent's Catalina Chronicle was published by the Catalina National Committee in October, 1978. A second printing was published by the same organisation in November, 1981.

Col.

Last edited by Col Bruggy; 22nd October 2019 at 18:01.
Old 22nd October 2019, 16:18

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Bruggy View Post
Hello,

One of the best books on the joint RAAF/US Mining campaign to date is Robert (Bob) Cleworth's:

The Night Shift: The Story of the RAAF Minelaying Catalinas that departed 'at the going down of the sun' taking over the night shift from other participants to neutrlaize the Japanese gains of mineral and oil resources in coalition with the US 7th Fleet 22 April 1943 - 1 July 1945,
Cleworth,Joseph Robert (Bob), MPhil.
Hill Top (NSW):Author,2015.

Based on material and evidence uncovered in research for a thesis that was awarded a Master of Philosophy Degree, 'BEWARE THIS HARBOR IS MINED', 2/Lt Douglas MacArthur, Manila, P.I. March 1904

Quite a mouthful, but the soft covered A4 book of 272 pages, consists of 16 chapters of details of the RAAF mining campaign. The book has a comprehensive bibliography, an adequate index, extensive endnotes and has many charts, maps, tables and photos.

I haven't received my copy of Cleworth's, The RAAF Black Cats, as yet, so I can't make a direct comparision of the contents. Be interesting to see what Cleworth has retained/discarded from his new title.

The Night Shift is still obtainable (at a reasonable price, not the grossly inflated sum wanted by some dealers) from the Rathmines Catalina Association. https://rathmines-catalina.com can't be more specific at the moment - got privacy issues with the site.

Stig, the first edition of David Vincent's Catalina Chronicle was published by the Catalina National Committee in October, 1978. A second printing was published by the same organisation in November, 1981.

Col.

Thanks so much for this information Col. I've ordered a copy of The Night Shift as well as one of Cats At War (another one only available at ridiculous prices elsewhere) from them. Just waiting to hear on postage to Canada. Now I just need to find the Vincent book at a not too insane price and I'm set.

Last edited by Orwell1984; 23rd October 2019 at 19:29.