Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 22nd January 2013, 23:02
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New books by Brian Cull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayslater View Post
John,

I would not say that as publishers we are 'lazy and unfair'. We can only go with what authors supply us with in terms of material and images. We stress that we want the very best but can only do so much and look towards authors to assist us as much as possible during this process. Help us help you!

Jay
Jay, I appreciate what you say. However, there are way too many instances of publishers going against what authors recommend. This is especially true in history publishing.

As for sources, surely publishers are aware of the internet and have the ability to search it to find relavent material?
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:17

Jayslater is on a distinguished road

Hey John,

Well, I am sure that is the case in some cases. With that being said, we all strive to be professional and deliver what we can to the very best of our abilities. As for sources, this is not really up to us, although we do assist where we can and do so to help our authors. So far it has worked brilliantly.

If author and publisher agree on a specific word count, number of images and delivery, this is contracted to both parties. As far as both parties are concerned, this is agreed and final. It certainly is not lazy and unfair, but expected and standard book publishing protocol.

I am thrilled that Fighters over the Aegean has been received so positively. Brian has, or will be, contracted for a further three titles and it is a pleasure working with him to produce superb books.

With very best wishes,

Jay
Old 28th January 2013, 17:36
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Jay is true to his word and I have signed up for three further titles with Fonthill, who, IMHO, have turned out an excellent quality book at a very competitive price. I shall be very happy for my forthcoming books to be published by Fonthill.

The 'first of the next' will be FIRST OF THE FEW, which I am due to hand over beginning of April, so hopefully autumn publication.

Thanks for the interest

Cheers
Brian
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:10

NickM

Awright Brian I just got 'Fighters Over The Aegean'; just the thing to tide me over, as I am currently at home bedridden with that nasty flu bug that's been going round;
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:59
Alter Hase

Hi Nick

I wish you a swift recovery - whisky, honey and lemon in a drop of hot water may help - anyway, it's a nice way to suffer!

Enjoy the book!

Cheers
Brian
Old 3rd February 2013, 23:33

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi Nick

I wish you a swift recovery - whisky, honey and lemon in a drop of hot water may help - anyway, it's a nice way to suffer!

Enjoy the book!

Cheers
Brian
Heheh! Hard to enjoy Whiskey with my nine year old around but the honey & lemon sure works. What really seemed to help is a mini-tangerine, referred to locally as a 'cutie'--they're cold & juicy & easy to peel & boy, do they taste good when you got a 38 Degree (C) fever. They've been just about the only thing I've been able to eat.

Last edited by NickM; 4th February 2013 at 00:04. Reason: Add more detail
Old 6th February 2013, 18:57
Alter Hase

Hi Nick

I hope you are on the road to recovery. Are you sure it's not Man Flu? I realise it can be serious but women soon see through our outer defence, and demand we go back to work.

In sympathy with your plight, I have had the odd Scotch or two. I feel a lot better and I hope you do!

I hope the book helped also!

Cheers
Brian
Old 7th February 2013, 03:30

NickM
Talking Re: New books by Brian Cull

HAH! If only my illness were my imagination...Well I am more or less back to normal (and normal is a debatable state for me, I assure you).
Old 10th February 2013, 14:42
Alter Hase

Hi guys
My books are akin to the famed London bus - you wait ages for one to come along and three arrive all together!

Updates of my forthcoming titles:

FIRST OF THE FEW - the blurb says:
5 June - 9 July 1940: British/French/Italian/German Air Operations over France, the Channel, Mers-el-Kébir and the Opening Rounds of the Defence of Great Britain
The publisher Fonthill says 16 April 2013 as D-Day, and Amazon are offering a small discount for pre-publication orders.

MARYLANDS OVER MALTA (a Malta publication)
I'm now informed that this title could see daylight late summer this year!

For 2014, I plan to offer BLENHEIMS OVER GREECE & CRETE and BLACKS IN RAF BLUE.

Exciting times - three cheers for Jay and Fonthill!!
Cheers
Brian
Old 10th February 2013, 19:19

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'll be adding some new titles to my must buy list.

Any more details on what Blacks in RAF Blue will cover? I have an idea but always best to get confirmation from the source!

Will the Blenheim book deal only with RAF operations or touch on Greek use too?

Cheers and great news about the Maryland title!

Mark