Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 31st December 2023, 03:19

Steve Birdsall is on a distinguished road
Soitfire in Australia

I found this photograph while browsing the New South Wales State Library's collection. I believe the photo was taken in Australia, perhaps at a training base, but I have no further details. It would appear that the squadron code begins with a B or a D, and the individual aircraft letter is Z. There also appears to be a word ending in "Y" painted on the nose.* I believe the lady in the Red Cross uniform is Dorothy Strachan but does anybody recognise the Flight Lieutenant pilot or the other two individuals? Thanks!

Old 31st December 2023, 06:34

Steve Birdsall is on a distinguished road
Re: Soitfire in Australia

Thanks to the efforts of Peter Dunn and Gordy Birkett I have the answer and, while the lady looks like my aunt, it's not. In the cockpit is Ian Taylor, and with him C.L.A. Abbott, Administrator of the Northern Territory and his wife Hilda, and on the right Sgt J. F. H. Cavanagh. The Spitfire is BS235/A58-96, coded DL-Z.