Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 17th February 2014, 17:36
hnbdgr

Please help to track down a german tornado pilot - 1982 [photo in post]

Salute,

this is a longshot, but please help if you can. Can anybody recommend a forum(english or german) where this could be posted or a number to call, or any other lead? many thanks in advance.

I work part time in a camera shop, we also process and scan film etc. The other day a gentleman walked in to have a photograph printed. This gentleman used to be a RAF panavia Tornado pilot and the photo he wanted us to print was of him and his west german counterpart in front of a german navy tornado. We got talking and he mentioned he enjoyed their meeting very much and would love to send him the printed photograph. Unfortunately he didn't have any contact with him since their encounter so I suggested I'd look into it for him as he didn't know where to start.

Here is the photograph:

- The photo was taken at the Tornado Tri National Training Establishment at RAF Cottesmore in April 1982.
- The man on the left is the british pilot - Vick Bussereau
- The man on the right is the german pilot whom Vick is trying to track down, his surname is "Merten", he flew for the germany navy (marineflieger) and his rank was most likely that of captain-lieutenant (from vic's recollection).

As above, any leads whatsoever are appreciated! Feel free to reply here or pass this email to anybody that might know: hnbdgr1[at]gmail[dot]com

Many thanks!
Old 17th April 2014, 13:55

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road
Re: Please help to track down a german tornado pilot - 1982 [photo in post]

Moien,
try this: www.fliegergemeinschaft.de/kontakt

Rank sound like Kapitänleutnant, thats an F/Ltn. in the RAF. Plane is from MFG 1 at Jagel (Marinefliegergeschwader 1), "43" is the Code for MFG 1. The German Navy has no longer Tornandos!!!

bests,#
h.
Old 21st April 2014, 19:49
hnbdgr

thank you very much, I'll try my luck there!
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:46
hnbdgr

I can't believe my luck! I followed your link, filled out an enquiry form and the administrator ( a retired colonel) replied the same evening saying he was part of the same course and knows the guy. We live in a small world, thank you for your help hans.

badger
Old 6th June 2014, 17:37

Joerg Dietsche

See www.tornadostaffel.de

Here you find all German Luftwaffe Tornado Aircrew listed.

Regards
Jörg
Old 10th June 2014, 16:04
hnbdgr

thank you, I already found him and passed the details on to the UK pilot. many thanks!