Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd December 2006, 08:55

ChrisMAg2
Pls help to solve the fate of a mysters. Fw 200

Hi guys!
I would like to ask you for your help to solve the fate of a Fw 200. Please follow the given link to LEMB for the details:
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...t=0#entry14600

As a reminder, most important is -ofcourse not only- the fate after it's capture.
Thank you in advance for all provided help.
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:53

Günther Ott
Re: Pls help to solve the fate of a mysters. Fw 200

This is not a mysterious Fw 200 at all - it was actually me who had initiated that the article in Braunschweiger Zeitung on 7th August 2006, and the purpose was to identify the crew of this plane after 61 years. However, as it sometimes happen with journalists, they just missed the very point and made their own story which resulted to mysteries but no response with regard to the crew.

The plane itself is a Fw 200 C-5/FK model, F8+CT, formerly with 9./K.G.40 and Transportfliegerstaffel Condor. The plane was subsequently looted and scrapped at Braunschweig-Waggum. So there is definitely no link to Fw 200 C-3 W.Nr. 0039 F8+AH which was MIA West of Ireland already on 16th April 1941!

Any hints on the identity of F8+CT's crew on her last flight are still most welcome. Since USAAF's 363rd Tac Rec Gp was based at Waggum during the time of that landing, it would be of interest if their files might provide for the wanted names.

Günther Ott
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:51
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Hi;

Just a shot in the dark. Was Waggum occupied by RCAF squadron when this happened? In a large book on RCAF History there are one or more photos of a Condor crew just after arrival ´at an airfield in Germany occupied by an RCAF fighter squadron´. Might this be your missing crew?
Old 3rd December 2006, 07:01

ChrisMAg2

Ed,
pls check the link to LEMB. Are the photos there the same? The photos I have refer to US 9th AF, 353 PRG.

Günther,
thank you for the clarification.
Old 3rd December 2006, 17:36
Alter Hase

Not same picture; have posted it on LEMB thread as attachments do not work for me in this forum.
Old 3rd December 2006, 20:47
Alter Hase

Just noticed, there appears to be a second Condor behind on that Canadian picture. Were two Condors flown to Germany and one to Sweden? Rumour has it there were three Condors with
´Teilkommando ~ Halbstaffel 1.(F)/120´ at Vaernes in winter 1945. I have no details but would like to know more!
Old 4th December 2006, 05:17

ChrisMAg2

Ed,
sorry, but I doubt the location you showed is in Brunswick-Waggum:
The photos I showed at LEMB show american soldiers. The soldier under engine 3 (of your photo) is obviously a R(C)AF member. The clothing of the germans are different (some of them) from what I posted in the BS-Waggum post.

Reg other Condors:
member Zulufox posted an info at Luftachiv.de http://www.luftarchiv.info/viewtopic.php?t=6090
indicating from a note in a Flugbuch, that an undisclclosed number of Fw 200 of ex. III./ KG 40 (unit was disbanded Feb. 1945, a/c went to Transportstaffel Norwegen) departed on May 8, 1945 from Varennes in Norway for the Kurland pocket. One of them is said to have landed in Lüneburg on the morning of May 9, 1945. F8+CT is also rumored to have been comeing from or atleast intended to head to Kurland. And in the newspaper article it is even assumed being a transport.
This seems to verify your hypothesis...
Old 4th December 2006, 23:29

Günther Ott

The photo in the Canadian book depicts crew members and transported soldiers that were aboard Fw 200 C-5/FK F8+DS and had arrived at Lüneburg on 8th May 1945 after an evacuation flight from the Courland pocket.
It should be noted that Transportfliegerstaffel Condor had already been disbanded on 6th Apri 1945 and all aircraft had been grounded ever since, only to be re-activated and manned by crews also from other units for this last and only evacuation mission from Norway to Courland and then to Germany on the very last day of WW II. However, some crews decided for flying directly to Germany or landed in neutral Sweden in place of going at any risk.

Regards,

Günther Ott
Old 5th December 2006, 00:24

Günther Ott

Adding to my previous post and for avoiding further confusions on this topic, a second Fw 200 C-5/FK, F8+BD, had accompanied F8+DS on this last flight to Lüneburg. Another arrival at Lüneburg on that day was Fw 190 "Gelbe 14" of 7./JG 54 with the pilot and two happy ground crew having departed from Libau. This plane is likely to be seen in the background of the Canadian photo.
Old 5th December 2006, 03:40

ChrisMAg2

Thank you, Günther.
Is there any info as how many Fw 200 made the terminal fight to Kurland on May 8, 1945, how many did not arrive there for what reason ever or how many did make it there (and returned)? I seem to remember figures like 12 - 24 were sent. Can that be verified?