Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 19th September 2016, 19:09
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Spitfire Crash Sadaung 1945

Can anyone give me details of a Spitfire which hit an MT vehicle at the above airfield post-September 1945. The ac overturned and caught fire and Flt Lt Maurice Rowan was awarded the MBE for rescuing the trapped pilot. Award was gazetted 2 Nov 45
Old 21st September 2016, 00:59
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: Spitfire Crash Sadaung 1945

Hello,
May I ask " Why post September" ? The London Gazette 2nd November 1945 gives no details as to the date of the event as far as I can see.
Secondly do you know to which Squadron F/Lt. Rowan belonged also that of the aircraft and its pilot.
Thirdly, what was the name of the Spitfire's pilot ?
Thank you
Alex
Old 21st September 2016, 04:45
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

A possibility, no more than that!

No.155 Sqn Spitfire LF.VIII MT992, tyre burst on take-off. overturned on landing Sadaung 4 March, 1945.

Col.
Old 21st September 2016, 08:49
Alter Hase

Col

Unlikely as the citation said on landing, hit vehicle, turned over & caught fire & they would have been quicker with the OBE which was gazetted in November 45

Alex

Rowan is currently in an old people's home with my mother. He said he was with 5, 28 & 10 RIAF. AHB have no note of Rowan's injuries so could not get a date therefore no name of pilot he rescued. Assuming post-hostilities as would an OBE be awarded for such an action in war?

Will be visiting him again soon so wil ask if he has his logbook-he was very unassuming & gentle & never mentioned his OBE. His wife died last year & he is now blind but was so pleased to talk.
Old 23rd September 2016, 01:58

JaganP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Unlikely as the citation said on landing, hit vehicle, turned over & caught fire & they would have been quicker with the OBE which was gazetted in November 45

Rowan is currently in an old people's home with my mother. He said he was with 5, 28 & 10 RIAF.
Chris,

I pored over every page of 10 RIAF ORB but could not find any reference to him being posted there. I will take a look at 28 Sqn ORB to see if I can find him.

FWIW, there was a Spitfire VIII accident in January 45 with 8 RIAF Squadron. The Spit hit an Army MT Vehicle during take off and crashed. but this happened at Nidania/George airstrip. The pilot was pulled out of the wreck but died of his injuries a few hours later.
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:36
Alter Hase

Thanks all. We will get the answer one way or another!
Old 21st September 2016, 15:10
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Chris,
Thanks for reply.
I have placed a question in the RAFCommands site but no responds so far.
I had come up with two.
MD245 - 607 Sqn - Hit Ambulance landing having a in at, 11/03/45 and EP496 - 28 Sqn - SoC 13/09/45.
But then the 607 one may have been used by 28 as well but no details given in refs used to find.
Alex
Old 1st January 2017, 18:58

Mark Rowan is on a distinguished road

Just a small point, my father Maurice Rowan is a very private man. It might have been nice to ask him whether you were going to forum this.

I will gladly ask him if he wishes to fill you in with the details.

He is an MBE Military for this act of bravery. The other man helping was awarded the BEM Military.

I have all the records, and the pilots name.

I will speak with him tomorrow and ask him for his wishes.
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:44
Alter Hase

Mark
Apologies if any concern was caused but he had apparently been talking to both my brother & mother about his time with the RAF as he was told I am ex-RAF myself. The request came from my brother as he knows my interest in such matters but I will fully respect your & your father's wishes whatever.
Best regards
Chris
Old 5th January 2017, 00:26

Mark Rowan is on a distinguished road

Chris,
More than accepted.
I will as I said to your brother write down the facts for you and leave them with your Mum.
Your co writers here are quite correct in the fact this happened several times with transport crossing under landing aircraft, the spitfire had very poor lower forward vision, so no chance for the pilot. this man was very lucky.
MBE Military has embarrassed my father, a very brave act but the Raf didnt have another medal, all flying like DFC DSO etc only.
end of this matter as far as I am concerned, and thank you for the reply
Mark Rowan