Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th February 2006, 13:34

Philou is on a distinguished road
Ju88 crew member

I'm doing some historical researches about the planes which crashed in Belle-Ile (south Brittany, France) during ww2.
One of those planes was a ju88 and crashed on October 4th 1942 (after a few weeks of flights over the area), a friend of mine gave me some informations about the plane (I suppose he got them in the German archives):
The plane # was D7+FK
The crew members were the pilot, 2 unterofficiziers (uffz.) and a "Reguirung Rat" named Friedrich HANST.
The problem is with this last guy. A Reguirung Rat seems to be a kind of government advisor and has nothing to do with a crew member.
A supposition is that it was at the moment were German began to build the shore defences all along the west European coast and this guy was in the plane to see where to put the blockhaus, the machine guns etc
Does someone has more informations? What do you think of my supposition?
Thanks for your help

Philippe
Old 7th February 2006, 19:41
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju88 crew member

Hello Philou;

This was likely a Meteorologist Observer (taking Weather notes and measuring temperature, humidity, Barometric pressure etc); but also observing enemy activity if seen ... his plane was this below. Code D7+FK is of ´Wetter Staffel 2 (but Wekústa is also correct).

W.Nr. 0881141 Ju 88 D-1 Wekústa 2 (Luftflotte 3)
OPS (F) struck ground, crashed and burned (100%) at Goulpher <at> Belle-Ile 04.10.1942 (F Fw. Josef Gruner killed, B Reg.Rat. Friedrich Hanst, BF Uffz. Hubert Zander and BS Uffz. Erich Liersch mis/rep killed in LWFLV losses u/16.10.42)

cheers
ed
Old 7th February 2006, 19:42

Andy Fletcher

Hi Philippe,

I believe D7+FK belonged to Wekusta.2, a weather reconnaissance unit

Reg.Rat Friedrich HANST would have been a meteorologist.

Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 7th February 2006, 20:38

Philou is on a distinguished road

Guys

Thanks a lot for the info. Reg.Rat is the name for meteorologist observer?
Regards

Phil
Old 7th February 2006, 21:22

BABIN

Hello Philippe,

Reg.Rat is the abbreviation for "Regierungsrat". It was a specifical rank in the Wekustas units. I think - but I'm not sure - it was equivalent to the rank of "Major" in the Luftwaffe.

Bonsoir

Pierre
Old 7th February 2006, 23:09

Tony Kearns

Hello All,
Does anyone know if this aircraft was going on or returning from a mission? This unit operated weather flights off the south west coast of Ireland. Any help appreciated.
Tony K