Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd September 2019, 20:11

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: Guy Gibsons 29 Sqn claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith A View Post
Possibly the only claim by a Hampden in WW2. Did Bomber Command credit the crew with a "probable" (in August 1940 would that not have been an "unconfirmed"? or was Gibson "line-shooting"?
This claim is mentioned i the recommendation for the DFM to his WOP/Air Gunner Robert McCormack: "a Dornier 17 was attacked and believed shot down by Sergeant McCormack, though this could not be confirmed. The aircraft was last seen flying very low with starboard engine on fire." (from Tavender´s The DFM Register).

This was one of several claims by Hampden crews including a number of Destroyed.

Regards
Peter
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:55
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

I find it odd that only ( if correct ) his WOP/Air Gunner Robert McCormack was given an award.
As from Gibsons report of the event he mentions the two guns being used.
The other crewman I understand was a new man, a Sgt. Houghton, surely he too was equally responsible for the e/c's demise ?

Alex
Old 24th September 2019, 19:34

phasselgren is on a distinguished road

Houghton was Air Observer. He received a DFM but this combat is not mentioned.

Air gunner was LAC Middleton but he did not receive a DFM.

Regarding McCormack it seems he received the DFM at the end of his tour and the claim although mentioned was not the only reason for the award.

Peter
Old 25th September 2019, 16:11

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the additional material

Andy B
Old 26th September 2019, 02:31
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Regarding Sgt. Houghton.
I refer to my earlier post No.9. In which I quoted from "Enemy Coast Ahead" pages 84/85.
The details of Sgt Houghton preceded that, being on pages 83/84.
Quote:

But Oscar was there as usual when I went into the Flight Office.
"Hello Gibbo" he said. "We are all going to Lorient tonight, not much of a trip, just to lay a few mines off the U-boat basin; it ought to be pretty cissy because they have only got a couple of guns there."
"Thanks Oscar. Are all my crew back ?"
"Yeah, they are all here, but I'm having Watty - my navigator was hit the other night. You can have the new bloke, Sergeant Houghton."
"Well, thanks very much." I said, feeling damned annoyed as Watty was such a good navigator and I had got used to him. But as it happened Houghton was very good and it was poor Watty who was to be unlucky.
It was a simple trip and although we were laying mines very close to the shore the flak did not bother us much, and the whole squadron did a good job of work. Afterwards we looked around for some E-boats which we we're told were operating in that area. We turned out to sea and stooged around with our navigation lights on so as to lull all and sundry into believing us to be friendly aircraft. Suddenly, in the long silver reflection of the moon in the calm water we saw one going at a rate of knots for a small harbour in the I'll d'Eu; and Houghton pressed the button. However, at times like this when bombing wasn't a highly organized affair, we weren't sure of our height and Houghton certainly wasn't sure of our level, and so the 2 x 250-pound bombs fell within a few yards but did not hit him; whether we damaged him or not we couldn't say, but there was some happy chatter on board as we turned for home.
But even better was to come. As we crossed over Cherbourg on the way home an aircraft passed us going in the opposite direction with his navigation lights on".

End quote.

My post No. 9 detail starts with "As we crossed over Cherbourg on the way home".

So I think that Gibson's fellow crewmen on this night were Mac and Houghton.
No mention of a Middleton.
But he might have been the fourth crewman, I only relate the details from the book.

Alex
Old 26th September 2019, 08:07
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

I downloaded the two parts of the 83 Sqn ORB for August 1940. For the night of Aug 24/25 it shows Hampden L4070 as flown by P/O Gibson, Sgts. Houghton and McCormack, and LAC Middleton. T/O 2306, land 0508. Gardening at St Nazaire and bombing E.159. The mission is only noted as "Successful".

Interestingly, on the night of Aug 27/28 the same crew, in the same aircraft, T/O 2300, land 0525, the Details say ``Gardening successful; E Boat attacked, bomb seen to burst within 25 yards, one E Boat machine gunned, searchlights machine gunned and extinguished.'' The very next entry for that night is for Sqn/Ldr Bridgman DFC (2320 to 0605) and the Details start ``One Dornier 17 believed shot down. ...''

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 30th September 2019, 23:16

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

A 1941 book by John Foreman which I know is dated has Gibson's claim of 3/4 May 1941 as a Ju 88 of II/KG 77 10% damaged one crewman bailed out.

Some of the Hampton claims can be found in the book "The Fledging Eagles"
Old 14th October 2019, 22:44

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

Other Hampton victories can be found in Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd Combat Archives