Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd February 2005, 21:21

Jon
Sgt Eric Bann 238 Squadron

Sgt Eric Bann who fought with and, was killed with 238 Squadron during the Battle of Britain wrote a letter to his parents on 21.5.40. In it he says

"Have been posted to Tangmere to help form another Squadron. My old Squadron pulled in every pilot during the last raid even including the C/O and we came back almost halved in number, so we just cant carry on the Squadron"

The Squadron he said he had been sent to help form was to be 238.

But what was his original Squadron before 238 ?
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:40

Andy Mac
Hi Jon

Bann went to 238 straight from OTU. He died with 238 I think. Thanks for sharing that part of his letter - it sums up the BoB and how brave those young boys were.

Andy.
Old 4th February 2005, 08:49

Jon
Thanks Andy

Thanks Andy.
Couldn't agree more about how brave the young men were . I asked the question as i am freinds with Sgt Banns brother and am trying to put together as much info about his brothers short life during the war. Interestingly he was with his brother in Maccelsfield when the telegram came during the battle requesting Sgt Bann to return from leave back to 238 shortly before he was killed. By then he was already a veteran of many combats and his brother said the strain on him was obvious and he can remember he couldn't hold a cup of tea without spilling it due to the shakes! but he returned and, as we know was killed on Sept 28th. His crash site is on the Isle of Wight and you can still find .303 rounds and bits of alloy on the spot to this day dug up by the rabbits.
Thanks again.
Jon
Old 4th February 2005, 14:19

Andy Mac
Jon you sound passionate about Eric. Have you thought about a web page about him? It sounds as though you know more about him than most probably do. Through the BoB Historical Society I think you can adopt his grave.

Andy.
Old 4th February 2005, 20:38

Jon
Have done already

Hi Andy.
I already have Andy and, i am good friends with his Brother Maurice.
Have a look at the site below as it shows a painting of the incident i had commissioned with some back ground his final flight.

http://www.warbirdart.demon.co.uk/jonzon28.html

I am a bit hooked on Sgt Bann as for the first time i have been able to get behind the man in the cockpit and find out so much about him.
Also i think i have narrowed it down to three BF109 pilots who could have killed him although a BF110 also claimed a kill in the area near the time of his death.
Fortunately i spoke Sgt Gordon Batt last year before he passed away and he was flying with Sgt Bann when he was shot down, Gordon is convinced it was a 109 but admitts that as soon as he saw the tracer rounds he dived for the deck and flew home between the trees!!
If you visit the Isle of Wight go up onto Culver down into the pub and they carry a copy of the painting abouve the fire in his honour, and have a walk down the bank to the crash site and see what the rabbits have turned up!
As for a web page what a fantastic idea.

Best regards.
Jon
Old 4th February 2005, 22:18

Andy Mac
Jon - fantastic . . .what is the story behind the 109 pilot whose aircraft crashed into the well ???
Old 5th February 2005, 11:42

Jon
109 down the well

Hi Andy.

The BF109 was flown by FW Ebus and belonged to JG.2. On 24th August 1940 he was shot down over the Island by Sgt Gordon of 238 Squadron. FW Ebus bailed out and drifted out to see, when a boat got to him he was already dead, although another view on the island is the crew of the boat finished him off with an oar before pulling him on board !
The 109 hit vertical with a million to one chance directly onto an old victorian well that was hidden and forgotten up in some woods near Shanklin. Most of the aircraft went down the well apart from the wings and tail that broke off. Steve Vizard found the site in the 80's and dug the well out, finding bits of the aircraft including the 20mm cannon stuck vertical in the ground either side of the well opening. I have visited the site 2 times and never found the well as the wood it's in is like Jurrasic Park. Then last year on my 3rd search i finally found it, kicking about the well opening i found several small bits of airframe and a few live 20mm rounds that i buried deep as they looked a tad unstable. It is great that the Isle of wight Rabbits constantly dig up planes !!!
Cheers.
Jon
Old 7th February 2005, 22:40

Andy Mac
Thanks Jon I look forward to more of your posts.

Salute !

Andy.
Old 9th February 2005, 01:52
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Sgt Bann

Jon,

Just a thought

Have Sgt Bann's closest living relatives written off to the MOD for his service record?
Old 9th February 2005, 10:05

Jon
Hi Larry

Thanks Larry.
Yes i asked Maurice to write to the RAF records office in Gloucester.
Unfortunately they could help very little.

I shall keep trying.

Regards.
Jon