Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th March 2009, 05:46

pbhawkin is on a distinguished road
Re: Exports to Japan

Hi Artie,
Thanks for the info.
Now firstly excuse my lack of knowledge but what is 'USSBS' and 'JFM'? And where would I find internet links to the shipping manifests and the 'working folders'?

regards
Peter
Australia
Old 6th March 2009, 14:24

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

USSBS is the United States Strategic Bombing Survey, most working folders with interrogations and company data are at USNA College Park, MD. JFM is the abreviation often used for Junkers. Most of the data can only be accessed at College Park, these are the original documents and have not been scanned or microfilmed to my knowledge. The WWII Correspondence has been microfilmed and I believe indexes are available online, but not the documents.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
Old 6th March 2009, 19:41
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Gentlemen

Since I am quoted in this correspondance at one point with a discussion of the type He 119 from LEMB, may I just point out that as far as I am aware, nothing has been published or found which refutes Volker Koos deductions in his Heinkel Vol 2 book published in 2003.

What he list still stands and anyone believing more than four He 119 were built and that any other airframes than the V-2 and V-4 were exported to Japan, has to my mind quote some new found documents saying otherwise. To quote Japanese sources written in the early 1970's etc is not productive. It is like checking William Green's books and/or articles from the 1960's and 1970's. Good at the time they have been superseeded since both once and twice.

Cheers
Stig
Old 6th March 2009, 23:04

Stig,
Hi.
Thanks for replying.
I have found the book of Volker Voos on Abebooks (amongst others of his) and I am tempted to buy it. I wonder if it has been translated into English? I have a lovely book about the Dornier company and it's planes in English. If you have seen this book can you tell me how many pages or paragraphs are devoted to the He-119? And if it has any photos?
Is there any chance of contacting Mr Voos do you think?
I agree that a lot of authors have probably copied the errors of earlier authors without checking the evidence for themselves.

regards
Peter H
Australia
Old 7th March 2009, 10:28

Lennart Andersson

Hello,

I would be interested to know the name or designator for the Junkers (JFM) collection and some further details about it. I was not aware of any original documents that had not been transferred back to Germany and that was not mictofilmed.

Lennart Andersson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieBob View Post
USSBS is the United States Strategic Bombing Survey, most working folders with interrogations and company data are at USNA College Park, MD. JFM is the abreviation often used for Junkers. Most of the data can only be accessed at College Park, these are the original documents and have not been scanned or microfilmed to my knowledge. The WWII Correspondence has been microfilmed and I believe indexes are available online, but not the documents.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
Old 7th March 2009, 11:10

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only second Lennart's request. I've searched the USNA website to see if I could locate the online index but without any luck so any hints or help would be great.

/Mikael
Old 7th March 2009, 12:19
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hallo Peter

If you are interested in Heinkel, I suggest you try to get both volumes, since they are first class. My general opinion is that Volker Koos keeps a very high standard when it comes to research and writing.

Three pages are devoted to the He 119 in the book

Herrn Koos has also written a book about Arado and hopefully his book about Dornier will follow this year.

He is also a man not afraid to stick his face out and always put his e-mail address in the book.

If you send me a private e-mail I will give his e-mail address to you
Cheers
Stig
Old 7th March 2009, 12:32

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough

From the files of BA/MA RL 2 III/647 containing information about war material exported to foreign and friendly countries, the following aircaft were exported to Japan from 1937 to 1943:
1937: 3 He 118, 4 He 112, 5 Bü 131, 1 Ju 86, 2 Ju 87.
1938: 1 He 116, 26 He 112, 1 Bü 131.
1939: 14 Bü 131, 1 Bü 133, 2 Bf 108.
1940: 2 He 100.
1941: 1 Ju 88, 2 He 119, 2 Bf 109, 1 Fi 156.
1942: 1 Me 210, 1 FW 190, 3 Ju 88.
1943: 2 Bf 109, 3 Me 210, 2 Do 217, 1 FW 190.
In a document giving the situation on 29.02.44 also 2 Hs 129 are listed as ready but could not be transported.
In list dated 31.12.44 2 He 177 and 1 Fa 330 were reserved for export to Japan. They were most likely never delivered.
Old 7th March 2009, 12:59

Hi Seaplanes.
Sorry, but what are BA/MA RL files? And do they have further information such as dates, ships names, arrived safely or sunk etc?

regards
Peter
Australia
Old 7th March 2009, 18:38

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough

BA/MA is Bundesarchiv Militärarchiv in Freiburg. RL is the signature for Luftwaffe documents. Unfortunately my information is in a statistical form only. There are other files containing more detailed information, but the RL 2 III signature is closed for restoration by the arhive.