Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th July 2011, 22:53

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Offical Fighter Group Pictures - where do I start in finding the official USAAF Archives of files and photos?

Hello everyone who is reading this post, I really hope someone may be able to point me in the correct direction so that I can start finding out where the official USAAF pictures and information for the 325th Fighter Group.

Over the past few-years I have managed to gather a reasonable amount of images and the occasional 8mm footage of the 325th in action at most of their bases, but these have mostly been gathered from surviving members, relatives and miscellaneous resources.

However, after many conversations with those who survive, they have no idea where any of the official USAAF pictures are stored, of which there are I assume many due to the fact that each Fighter Squadron had a Photographer embedded with it to produce hundreds of pictures.

What I am hoping is that someone may know the first, second and maybe third places I should be directing questions to in the hope of finding any official archive material, even newsreel footage, but mainly still images and mission detail.

After reading the two books available (there are more but two by Ernest McDowell deal with the history and missions) there was obviously somewhere that the inofrmation was stored, but as time has gone by (they were published around late 60's early 70's) 325th members have passed and the route to that informationseems to have been lost.

Is anyone able to give me guidance as to where official USAAF records of the 325th may be stored or accessed?

Hope someone can help, cheers, MP
Old 16th July 2011, 23:25
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Offical Fighter Group Pictures - where do I start in finding the official USAAF Archives of files and photos?

Have you try this:

http://www.325thfg.org/

Also USAF museum could be of great help

Cheers
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 17th July 2011, 00:41

Luc Vervoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Offical Fighter Group Pictures - where do I start in finding the official USAAF Archives of files and photos?

Hi MP,

Already checked http://airforcehistoryindex.org ?

Best regards from Belgium

Luc
Old 17th July 2011, 22:29

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Have you try this:

http://www.325thfg.org/

Also USAF museum could be of great help

Cheers
Hi Pilot, although the Cathcart's have a lot of material they have found it challenging to send a single item (by mail or email) to me. It seems their archive of material is set to stay in their basement forever so in answer to your question yes I really have tried that route which is why I am endavouring to find where the official photos may be held that I hope the military still have in storage.

Do you have any idea what the contact details are of the USAAF Museum as I don't know where it is based?

Luc, I have just sent them an email and said I am looking for any images re. the 325th and am waiting for a reply. Searching their website though no results came back for Checkertail, Checkertails, 325th, Herschel Green,etc, etc except for a reference to the books I mentioned in my OP.

Can anyone else make a suggestion as to where official Fighter Group images/film may be kept?

Cheers, MP
Old 17th July 2011, 23:24
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It seems their archive of material is set to stay in their basement forever
This is sad to hear
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758