Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:10

ISLANDER is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe over Scapa Flow

Hi All,

It`s been a long time since I posted on this forum but I am glad to see from the members list that I am still one of the crew so to speak,reason being really that my research covered mainly allied aircraft and few Luftwaffe, and my very sparse knowledge of the latter would not be much help to people on this forum,so I hope you will all bear with me.

Still continuing research into losses on and around the Scottish Islands, I have recently been involved with a new group on Orkney called `Aviation Research Group of Orkney & Shetland, or ARGOS for short, the group is run by Kevin Heath a diver on Orkney who after years of diving shipwrecks has now turned his interest to aircraft. At present we are trying to ID all the aircraft that came down on and around Scapa Flow and I see from my sparse records, mainly based on the appendix in `Sky Over Scapa` by Gregor Lamb, that several Luftwaffe aircraft came down in Scapa Flow, or Did they????

Here is a short list of aircraft that are listed as in Scapa Flow, Can any of the Luftwaffe researchers out there confirm/disprove:

1/ Ju-88 in sea off Island of Hoy, 20/9/39.

2/ Ju-88 in sea between Hoy & Stroma, shot down by shore AA
during bombing attack on HMS Iron Duke. 17/10/39. Another
Ju-88 is confirmed as crashing at Pegal Burn,Hoy on this date
With pilot Ober/Lt Flaemig, but the one in the sea eludes me.

3/ Ju-88 4D+EK ? In sea Scapa Flow? 10/12/39.

4/ Dornier Do-17 Crashed in to sea off Copinsay Island, Orkney.
4/1/40.

5/ Do.8G? From 1/KO/FLGR 406? Shot down by Skuas of 801 Sq
East of Orkney 15/5/40.

6/ Luftwaffe aircraft u/k poss Ju-88? Crashed in Scapa Flow? 16/3/40.

Any details on any of the above would be most welcome and gratefully appreciated.

Regards.
Dave.

aka: highgroundsman - RAF Commands forum.

Last edited by ISLANDER; 23rd February 2009 at 14:29. Reason: Added a sixth possible aircraft to list.