Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th January 2019, 12:30
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough
Translation 'Leuchtmine'

Dear all,

In the Berlin Flak records, I came across the term of 'Leuchtmine', which were fired into the air from the ground to help silhouetting the RAF bombers over the Big City under attack. What would be the correct English translation of 'Leuchtmine'?

Cheers, Theo
Old 6th January 2019, 12:35
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Translation 'Leuchtmine'

If fired from a gun, "starshell" possibly?
Old 6th January 2019, 13:01

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
Dear all,

In the Berlin Flak records, I came across the term of 'Leuchtmine', which were fired into the air from the ground to help silhouetting the RAF bombers over the Big City under attack. What would be the correct English translation of 'Leuchtmine'?

Cheers, Theo
Although I am no linguist, I offer observations.
The precise words used to combine into the German word translate as, Light and Mine. The Mine as-in, an explosive or pyrotechnic device. Yes, an English military Starshell is probably a close term but, it is possible that the Leuchtmine was not precisely the same and if the function of the Leuchtmine is an important factor in night warfare a further definition of the device would be advisable, rather than just saying it was a Starshell. Cheers

SM
Old 6th January 2019, 13:37

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

I wonder if these are 'scarecrows'?

Bruce
Old 6th January 2019, 13:40

Mikael Olrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Luminous mine is suggested by Google translate while Leuchtgeschoss and Leuchtgranate is translated as "star shell" in Air Ministry's manual of German air force terminology which would support Nick's suggestion.
Old 6th January 2019, 15:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I suppose there's always "flare".
Old 6th January 2019, 15:47

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Theo, can you give some dates when the 'Leuchtmine' was used? Perhaps the RAF reports will explain if the crews saw something that fits.

Bruce
Old 6th January 2019, 18:00

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Boiten View Post
Dear all,

Cheers, Theo
Good evening Theo

An old German military term for ammunition, which was fired and exploded, is Mine. In WW 1 and in the Twenties, you often heard the term "Minenwerfer" for Granatwerfer or, in English, mortar.

One of the many tactics of German air-defence was the use of flares (Objektkennung durch Leuchtgranaten, Durchstoßschießen, SSR-Durchstoßschießen e.g.). Probably one of the older German Flak-soldiers used the old term Leuchtmine (Leuchtgranate) in his report ?.

Only a guess

Best wishes !

Horst Weber
Old 6th January 2019, 22:34
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Thanks chaps for all your useful suggestions. I came across the mention of the 'Leuchtmine' in the official 1. Flak Division analysis of the 24-25 March 1944 Berlin raid; a total of some 3,000 Leuchtminen were fired into the sky over Berlin during the actual bombing attack on this night to help illuminate the bombers for the Flak and night fighters (plus almost 500 searchlights!).

Cheers, Theo

Last edited by Theo Boiten; 7th January 2019 at 07:19.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:51
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Guys

Excuse my ignorance, but how did they work?
Were they fired seperatly, ie like a larger version of let's say "Happy-New-Year" rockets, or were they fired as general AA shells from already available cannons (or even dedicated cannons)?

Cheers
Stig