Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 30th September 2022, 01:36

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road
Question The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group???

Stumbled across a resource called The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group:

https://lwag.org/

It looks like it has some interesting threads but the whole thing is locked, won't let you register and appears to have been last in use in 2016 - yet you can still see the titles of the various forums/threads - but cannot open them!

Am I missing something?
Old 30th September 2022, 17:34
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Re: The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group???

No it was closed, and only those who were members at the time can still acces it.
Junker
Old 30th September 2022, 18:28
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Similar to what happened with the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board. To see years of work end up like this. Books and magazines will not do this to you.

Ed
Old 30th September 2022, 19:24

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

Very sad and a pity: it seems a waste, as I'm sure many could contribute and learn more, thus driving the hive knowledge forward.
Old 1st October 2022, 01:14
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
To see years of work end up like this. Books and magazines will not do this to you. Ed
That did not feel well. Magazines and Books will tell same old lies forever. Rememenber Ju 88 A-0, B-0 etc. (always at default 10 each). A-2 (sic), all them at end of war A-6/U found with Radar (sic), Ju 188 E-0, Ju 188 S-1/U for ground attack. (Encyclopedia Antony Eden Aerospace 2004. Printed in Singapore.) Add this to fiction. I keep it on my shelf on how not to do it.

But site you mentioned was so bad after all its worthless. I regret trying be part of that and officially apologize.
Old 1st October 2022, 01:57
Alter Hase

I bought a few bad books over the years. LWAG was a worthy attempt. And while some inaccuracies have been cleared up, much remains to be done. This site is doing a very good job.

I will close with this. Unless a backup is stored in the Cloud or some other means of storage, I would hate to see this site disappear as it briefly did around October of last year.
Old 1st October 2022, 22:54
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Similar to what happened with the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board. To see years of work end up like this. Books and magazines will not do this to you.
Ed
I was not reffering to LWAG which I was never part of. L(E)MB everybody should forget.
Manuscript has been written all time along, but I am seeking some obscure tie-ups
but mid war "why" development appears solved for most parts.

Last edited by edNorth; 1st October 2022 at 23:31.
Old 2nd October 2022, 00:32
Alter Hase

Leon,

Thank you for your reply. I feel relieved now. And while we're on the subject of saving our work, I'd like to bring up a somewhat delicate subject.
Some authors, and researchers with photo and/or document collections, sometimes do not make provision for where their work/collections would
go after they pass. I know I am reluctant to deal with this myself. But I am taking some action. There was a recent case here where
the person had passed on and files were on his computer. As I recall, no one had access. It would be a shame to see work lost like that, or anywhere
else on this somewhat tenuous place called the internet.

Best,
Ed West
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:50

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Leon,

Thank you for your reply. I feel relieved now. And while we're on the subject of saving our work, I'd like to bring up a somewhat delicate subject.
Some authors, and researchers with photo and/or document collections, sometimes do not make provision for where their work/collections would
go after they pass. ....
Ed West
Coincidentally there is a discussion on this over on the RAF Commands forum

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122

Last edited by Andy Mitchell; 2nd October 2022 at 17:27.
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:12
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Manuscript has been written all time along, but I am seeking some obscure tie-ups but mid war "why" development appears solved for most parts.
If you propose to sit on the correct information for an indefinite period, the least you can do is accept that people will use what is actually available to them in the meantime.