Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 29th September 2023, 04:35
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
WW2 WREN homicide.

Hello,
Came across this -
Homicide.
15th December 1939.
HMS Titania.
Cullercoats, Northumberland.
Ldg Wren. Jan Watson MOORE.

murder of Jean Watson Moore on or between December 14 and 15. A police-constable said that at 12.15 this morning he saw a motor car parked without lights on a roadway leading from the Broadway to Marden Farm, Cullercoats.

Gordon Richard Chilcott (Jail)
Sex: male
Crime: murder
Date Of Sentence: 31 Jan 1940

Place: Lish Avenue, Whitley Bay

Source: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Gordon Chilcott murdered his fiancee Jean Watson Moore 21 and was sentenced to death but respited. He murdered her between 11pm 14 December and 12.50am 15 December 1939.

They had been out dancing and after whilst in the car Gordon Chilcott strangled Jean Moore. Gordon Chilcott had driven Jean Moore and her friend to Jean Moore's home on Lish Avenue in Whitley Bay. The friend had gone into the house leaving Gordon Chilcott and Jean Moore outside talking in the car. He said that he didnt mean to and they were just struggling when she went limp. When he realised that she was dead he decided to take his own life and pulled out a knife but thought he would have a cigarette first but before he had a chance to finish his cigarette a policeman arrived.

A letter sent by Jean Moore to Gordon Chilcott was read out in court 'I feel that I want a few months freedom just to be like other girls and have a very small fling before I marry. After all darling, you have had yours...'

They had become engaged on Jean Moore's 20th birthday in June 1938. Gordon Chilcott was an estate agent.

What became of Chilcott ?

Anyone know of or have details about this event and /or the fate of Chilcott ?

Alex

Last edited by Alex Smart; 29th September 2023 at 05:34.
Old 29th September 2023, 12:57
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: WW2 WREN homicide.

He was reported as passing away in Northampton in March 1960. There is a file on this in the NA but is closed until 2046 or thereabouts
Old 29th September 2023, 17:29
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: WW2 WREN homicide.

Thank you Chris,

Yes "find a grave" has the Northampton man.
Was wondering how long he was jailed for, or did he get off by volunteering for War service of some sort ??

On line I saw the a Gordon Chilcott had won a court case against the NHS in the 1980's.

I wondered if he was the same man but due to his age it was obviously not the same man.

"MAN crippled by catastrophic brain injuries suffered at birth in Halifax has secured a £4.85m compensation settlement.
The High Court in London heard that 23-year-old Gordon Chilcott had suffered from severe cerebral palsy since he was born at Halifax General Hospital in May, 1981".

Alex

Last edited by Alex Smart; 29th September 2023 at 18:00.