Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th February 2014, 00:21
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road
Re: Me 262 with Karoband?

Hi Gents,

Moosburg-an-der-Isar is reputed to have been the Stalag VII place; no doubts about that.

About the field: MIP yes but there is another strip closer to Moosburg, southern area still existing (sorry don't have access to Google now ...)

As for the POW film ... Stupid I'm!!!! Talking about the Me 262 I forgot the main important thing, Worth to know even if nothing to do with a "liberated camera":

A camera has been build in a Stalag during the WWII. POWs joined pièces of film and there were able to make a long film about their life condition in the camp.
This film has been released on a French TV show last November. Sharp and clear!!

So, Yes No problemo

Regards, Franck.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:53
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouidjat View Post
Hi Gents,
About the field: MIP yes but there is another strip closer to Moosburg, southern area still existing (sorry don't have access to Google now ...)
Sorry, I'm wrong here about Erding .....

BUUUUUUUT ....

There is a strip at Bruckbergerau: Flugplatz Landshut-Ellermühle.

So I Wonder if POW's souvenir was that good.
After all, The Me 262 is pictured in front of a quite big hangar and there is a concrete parking (at least) ...

Regards, Franck.
Old 25th February 2014, 05:22

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Hi Franck,

I checked my files and as a follow-up to my previous post:

1. The POW was with the 96th BG and was shot down on a mission to Augsburg in April 1944.
2. He and his fellow POW's in Stalag VII were liberated by Patton's Army in late April 1945..
3. While waiting for transportation out of Germany they took short walks in the surrounding countryside.
4. They encountered a small airfield and single hanger with the Me 262 in front of it where they took photos of each other in the machine.

So, this was a very small airfield / air strip with a single hanger and one aircraft in front of the latter, and it was within a short walking distance fro the POW camp located just outside Moosburg.

Cheers,

David
Old 25th February 2014, 06:28
Alter Hase

David,

But I do believe what you got is the truth, told by an ex POW.
I do believe, too, that the plane was in Moosburg area.
Just: How big was that "Moosburg area"? 1km, 5km, 10km???

There is a huge possibility that that strip have been erased for good but there is a small possibilty that it wasn't. It dépends how far it was from the Stalag VII. By the way, where was situated the Stalag "in Moosburg".

Again, "short walks" means
1/ more than one
2/ One hour walk?? Already 7 kms - at least for me ...
Tending in count that 5 minutes walk is not a walk, indeed.

Last, and by the way, there is what seems to be a strip remain in the crops, just north-eastern part of Langenpraising, southern Moos, by the E53. How much far 1,5km .... Ideal for a short walk!

Cheers, Franck.

Just a matter for talks, not to say "yeah it was there!"
Old 25th February 2014, 10:03

SES

Hi,
Just a consideration, the Me262 could not and did not operate from "small strips". The minimum runway length specified by the Luftwaffe was 2.000 m. It could certainly land on a shorter runway, but it would be a challenge to operate from it on a regular basis.
bregds
SES
Old 25th February 2014, 10:21
Alter Hase

Hi SES,

Yes, ... and we are talking about one which did land only coming from Prague area.
No confusion at all in our posts.

Regards, Franck.
Old 27th December 2017, 17:14

Pegasus123 is on a distinguished road

Hi
In this part of Bavaria was a lot of Me262 " business" going on, like in Erding, Landau-Ganacker, Straubing etc.
A small and interesting airfield is situated at nearby Landshut, just South of the Isar, close to Auloh. On Google maps a part of the runway and some concrete surface (new?) can still be recognized. From Landshut-Ergolding, another airfield close by, former POW's of Moosburg had been flown out to Belgium and France.

Maybe you know the video on Youtube:

*https://youtu.be/qXOwUBik0bM

Interesting the Me262 production or storage line in Mitterlern, just South of Moosburg, close to Erding. Funny the farmer with child and dog who examines - maybe on his ground - the Me262 parts.
The fuselages seem not to be guarded too strongly....

Last edited by Pegasus123; 28th December 2017 at 03:01.