Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th October 2020, 21:17

Edward is on a distinguished road
Seeking Clarity on Editions of Shores' "Aces High"

I am a little confused on the different editions of Christopher Shores' Aces High: A Tribute to the Most Notable Fighter Pilots of the British and Commonwealth Air Forces in World War II.

So I'm seeking little clarity before making a purchase.

There are two editions of Volume I with the second being completely expanded and revised.
(Neville Spearman Ltd 1966) - 335 pages
(Grub Street Publishing 1994) - 663 pages

The 1994 revised edition was followed by
Aces High Volume 2: A Further Tribute to the Most Notable Fighter Aces of the British and Commonwealth Air Forces in World War II

I believe that there are two editions of Volume 2
(Grub Street Publishing 1999) - 192 pages
(Grub Street Publishing 2008) -256 pages

Shores also wrote a companion book that was published in 2004 by Grub Street.
Those Other Eagles: A Tribute to the British Commonwealth and Free European Fighter Pilots Who Claimed Between Two and Four Victories in Aerial Combat, 1939-1982 (A Companion Volume to Aces High).

It is my understanding that someone wishing to add these tomes to their aviation library in 2020, wanting the most up-to-date versions, should get a 1994 edition of volume 1 and a 2008 edition of volume 2 as well as 2004's Those Other Eagles. Correct?

While I have no evidence that there are later editions of these books I wanted to check with the more knowledgeable historians.

Thanks