Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th April 2007, 14:42

Boomerang is on a distinguished road
LW Aces in a Day Versus USAAF

Gentleman:

A recent post referred to Obfw. Ernst-Wilhelm Reinert's 7 claims on the 13 March 1943 in Tunisia against USAAF P 39s and P 40s, which seem to corroborate to a reasonable degree with USAAF loss records. This looks like a rare example of a LW pilot making 'ace in a day' versus the USAAF. I could only think of a couple of other possibilities without an exhaustive search:
  • according to Arthy and Jessen's Focke Wulf Fw 190 in North Africa, on 2 Feb 1943 Kurt Buhligen of II/JG 2 claimed a P 39 and three P 40s from the USAAF and a RAF Spitfire - almost ace in a day versus the USAAF. Arthy and Jessen state that the claims were confirmed and show good correlation between JG 2 claims and corresponding Allied losses ( they report eight and seven, respectively)
  • Caldwell's JG 26 War Diary shows that, on 24 April 1944, Hptm Staiger of III/JG 26 claimed, and was credited with, three B 17s shot down and two B 17s shot out of their formation. Whether this qualifies as making ace in a day is problematic.
What further examples are there of LW pilots making ace in a day versus the USAAF?

Cheers

Don (Boomerang)
Old 6th April 2007, 02:44

Klaus Schiffler
Re: LW Aces in a Day Versus USAAF

Hptm. Theodor Weissenberger of I/JG 5 scored five kills on 7 June 1944 over Normandy:
P-47 at 0905
P-47 at 0926
P-47 at 0927
P-47 at 1715
P-47 at 1716
Old 8th April 2007, 17:00
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
LW Aces in a Day Versus USAAF

Hi guys

According to Wood's list, Major Egon Mayer (102 victories, RK-S, killed in action 2 March 1944), Geschwaderkommodore of JG 2, claimed four P-47 fighters and a B-17 four-engined bomber (85-89) on 1 December 1943. Please note that one of the P-47 fighters (88 ) may be a double counted victory. I hope that this helps somewhat.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 13th April 2007, 14:13

Gentleman:

Thank you for your information. It looks like there are a few examples of LW pilots making ace in a day versus the USAAF.

Appears that P 47 losses (twenty seven) on 7 June 1944 were significant - a tough day for the Thunderbolts.

The USAAF Chronology at the following website lists P 47 losses on 1 December 1943 as 5 lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 3 damaged:

http://paul.rutgers.edu/~mcgrew/wwii...ml/Dec.43.html

Thanks again,

Don (Boomerang)
Old 13th April 2007, 15:39

drgondog is on a distinguished road

The 56th lost three air to air and the 355th lost one on 1 December so it is possible that Mayer got all 4 although they ranged from Koblenz to Cologne. From Tony Wood's lists I suspect the 3 56FG losses were Mayer - it's hard to be definitive as several more 47's were claimed than actually went down.

Must also be noted that at last three C/L from battle damage back in UK.
Old 13th April 2007, 18:37
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Gentleman:

Thank you for your information. It looks like there are a few examples of LW pilots making ace in a day versus the USAAF.

Appears that P 47 losses (twenty seven) on 7 June 1944 were significant - a tough day for the Thunderbolts.

The USAAF Chronology at the following website lists P 47 losses on 1 December 1943 as 5 lost, 1 damaged beyond repair and 3 damaged:

http://paul.rutgers.edu/~mcgrew/wwii...ml/Dec.43.html

Thanks again,

Don (Boomerang)
Don: you understand that the Luftwaffe did not use the term "Ace", and besides vs. the USAAF, many "experten" did 5 or more against the RAF or VVS?
Old 14th April 2007, 14:11

John:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
Don: you understand that the Luftwaffe did not use the term "Ace", and besides vs. the USAAF, many "experten" did 5 or more against the RAF or VVS?
My answers to your two questions are 'yes' and 'yes'. The LW term would be Experte/n which, according to my understanding, would really only be earned by pilots with significantly more than five victories. So your point that it is not internally consistent to refer to a LW ace in a day is valid.

Nonetheless, as the 'ace in a day' term is used from time to time, I was interested in LW pilots achieving this feat against the USAAF, even though it would not have been acknowledged in those terms by the LW.

It is also clear that 5 victories in a day would have been achieved on many occasions by LW pilots against the RAF and (particularly) the VVS - perhaps a topic for further discussion!

Thanks for drawing attention to a point I overlooked in my initial post.

Cheers

Don (Boomerang)

Last edited by Boomerang; 14th April 2007 at 14:32. Reason: Correct typo