Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th January 2007, 16:38

Hans Nauta
Footage of Maj Helmut Lent on nightfighter operations on Internet

Dear all,

A 3 min film reel with Major Helmut Lent on nighfighter operations can be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyw_E1wkA8

Also Josef Kammhuber can be seen and also some nightfighter pilots who I hope to identify the next couple of weeks. I presume the film was shot at the command centre De Breil at Zeist and Leeuwarden airfield, The Netherlands.

I've tried to contact the poster of this low resolution film reel for the original source, however with no avail.
As this footage may be part of the Wochenschau films, I've checked that website too, but only the footage of Lent's funeral turned up from the archived ones.

Perhaps somebody has seen the footage before and/or can point me the way to the original source for obtaining a high res copy?

Thanks in advance,
Hans Nauta

P.S. Before somebody else posts the remark: yes, the attacked aircraft is a Douglas Boston, just a piece of footage which was available at that time I think...
Old 8th January 2007, 17:10

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Footage of Maj Helmut Lent on nightfighter operations on Internet

Dear Hans,

it is in fact a part from a Deutsche Wochenschau as can be heard from the well known commentator's voice; I will try and check which issue of the DWS it actually came from if you were interested. I trust you know that the surviving Wochenschauen are now at the Bundesarchiv which is very restrictive about making and giving away copies ( which in addition to that have become extremely expensive by the way - when I called for a short sequence showing a/c and personalities of IV./JG 3 concerning the aerial battles of July 7th, 1944 for my history of that unit, a short negative of no more that 20 to 30 seconds cost well over 500 EUR for th film alone, not including publication fees ).

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 8th January 2007, 17:48

Hans Nauta

Dear Jochen,

Thanks for your very quick response! I was aware of the location of the Wochenschauen, but I'm startled regarding the costs!

Anyhow, if you're able and willing to check the issue number I have something more to work from.

Thanks in advance and best regards (also from Rob),

Hans Nauta
Old 8th January 2007, 19:04
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

The entire coverage of the Wochenschau from 1939-1945 is on DVD from International Historic Films. I bought some of them for the Eastern Front footage and saw gun camera footage for a number of "Experten" as well the take off footage.
Old 8th January 2007, 19:13

rob van den nieuwendijk

Hello Hans and Jochen,

There is more in the internet regarding interesting airwar footage -

also see:http://www.crashplace.de/ and go to video's -- a lot of footage.

and of course:
http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/auswahl.php

You can search for persons --

I found these:
Titel
Europa - Woche
Beitragslänge
1 Min. 9 Sek.Ort der Handlung
Europa; Deutsches Reich; Berlin, Reichshauptstadt

Zeit der Handlung
1944-1944

Thema
Sitten und Gebräuche; Gesellschaft;

Person
Lent, Helmut; Oberstleutnant; ; Göring, Hermann; NS-Politiker; ; Galland, Adolf; Generalleutnant, Industrieberater; ;

Erscheinungsjahr

Sprachfassung
keine

Produktionsfirma
Universum Film A. G.

Material
Bundesarchiv Filmarchiv

Lizenz
Transit Film GmbH

Produktionsland
Deutsches Reich

Signatur
Europa W (86/1944)

Beschreibung </I>
Berlin: (Reichskanzlei): Trauerfeier für den verunglückten Oberstleutnant Helmut Lent (Träger des Ritterkreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten). - Archivbilder von Lent im Kreis seiner Fliegerkameraden. Lent beim Start mit seiner Me 110. Der aufgebahrte Sarg mit einer Ehrenwache groß im Bild. Hermann Göring betritt den Saal, kondoliert den Angehörigen und begibt sich zum Rednerpult (K-Ton). Unter den Trauergästen General Adolf Galland. Nach seiner Rede legt Göring einen Kranz am Katafalk nieder.

And the footage with Dahl and Moritz JG 3 is also there:

Titel
Europa - Woche

Beitragslänge
2 Min. 19 Sek.
Ort der Handlung
Europa; Deutsches Reich;

Zeit der Handlung
1944-1944

Thema
Politik; Militär; Krieg; Luftstreitkräfte

Person
Dahl, Walter; NS-Major; ; Moritz, Wilhelm; NS-Major; ;

Erscheinungsjahr

Sprachfassung
keine

Produktionsfirma
Universum Film A. G.

Material
Bundesarchiv Filmarchiv

Lizenz
Transit Film GmbH

Produktionsland
Deutsches Reich

Signatur
Europa W 73/1944

Beschreibung </I>
Deutschland: Jagdfliegereinsatz gegen amerikanische Bomberverbände. - Jagdflugzeuge (Fw. 190) des Jagdgeschwaders 3 "Udet" beim Anflug auf einen Feldflughafen. Der Gruppenkommandeur III des Geschwaders, Ritterkreuzträger Major Walter Dahl, begrüßt die Piloten. Groß im Bild Ritterkreuzträger Major Wilhelm Moritz. Start von Jagdflugzeugen (Fw. 190 und Me 109). Amerikanische Bomberverbände im Anflug. Der Luftkampf aus vielen Perspektiven. Mehrere Bomber B 17 werden getroffen und stürzen ab. Abstürzendes Flugzeug; 2 Mann der Besatzung steigen mit dem Fallschirm aus. 356 m

And another one:

Titel
Europa - Woche

Beitragslänge
4 Min. 36 Sek.
Ort der Handlung
Europa; Deutsches Reich;

Zeit der Handlung
1944-1944

Thema
Politik; Militär; Krieg Luftstreitkräfte

Person
Galland, Adolf; Generalleutnant, Industrieberater; ; Trautloft, Hannes; Oberst; ; Streib, Werner; Oberstleutnant; ; Tank; Flugzeugkonstrukteur; ; Gollob, Gordon; Oberstleutnant; ;

Erscheinungsjahr

Sprachfassung
keine

Produktionsfirma
Universum Film A. G.

Material
Bundesarchiv Filmarchiv

Lizenz
Transit Film GmbH

Produktionsland
Deutsches Reich

Signatur
Europa W (67/1944)

Beschreibung </I>
Deutschland: Jagdfliegereinsatz gegen amerikanische Bomberverbände. - Generalmajor Adolf Galland im Gespräch mit Oberst Hannes Trautloft, Oberstleutnant Werner Streib und dem Flugzeugkonstrukteur Professor Tank. Galland mit Begleitern auf einem Feldflughafen. Galland besteigt ein Flugzeug. Galland in seinem Gefechtsstand bei einer Besprechung mit Geschwaderkommodoren und Gruppenkommandeuren. Galland mit Oberstleutnant Gordon Gollob bei einer Nachrichtenstelle. Angloamerikanische Bomberverbände beim Anflug zu einem Tagangriff. Start von Me 109 und FW 190 Jagdmaschinen auf einem Feldflughafen. Der Luftkampf der Jagdmaschinen mit den viermotorigen amerikanischen Bombern "fliegende Festungen". Mehrere Abschüsse von Bombern. Eingreifen von Me 110 Zerstörerflugzeugen. Der Luftkampf aus vielen Perspektiven. Bombenabwürfe. Ein abstürzendes Flugzeug schlägt auf dem Boden auf. Ein Mitglied der Besatzung schwebt am Fallschirm zur Erde. Verwundete amerikanische Luftwaffensoldaten werden in ein Gebäude geführt. Kamera schwenkt über abgestürzte amerikanische Bomber. Deutsche Jagdflugzeuge bei der Landung nach dem Einsatz. Piloten werden von ihren Kameraden begrüßt und beglückwünscht.

And so on....

Regards

Rob

Old 12th January 2007, 13:55

Hans Nauta

Hi Rob and Nokose,

Rob, thanks for your reaction and yes, the footage on wochenschau-archiv.de is well known to me. Nevertheless a useful list for other members of this comminity!

Nokose, thanks also for your comments, I'll check whether the footage is amongst de DVD content.

Best regards,
Hans Nauta
Old 22nd March 2008, 12:13

andrek is on a distinguished road

Yes, the footage with Lent is pure fun to me. My grandfather was part of this movie. He told me that they got some sort of theatre instruction from the Propaganda men who had heavy problems filming in darkness. The Bf110 seen in the clip was standing at the Rollfeld and it was snowing that night. The man inside the Bf110 is Lent. There is also a scene were the Bf110 is firing. My grandpa said, that this was the idea of a camera man. The ground crew turned the maschine and Lent himself fired some rounds in the night. Today absolutely impossible.
Old 16th October 2010, 15:07

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Where on the internet can I find a picture of the grave of Helmut Lennt ?
Regards,
Henk.