Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th May 2008, 11:52
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
He 162 Instrument Panel Labels

Hello,

I have posted photos of my He 162 at the virtual museum swapey.

The panel is not complete yet as I want to restore/rebuilt (I have some original parts from the production line) the armour plate, Revi 16B mount, side panels and tube frame (of which I have an original).

The Canadian He 162 cockpit has a unique feature: on of the labels at the top of the panel is hand-written. Wartime photos usually show a printed label. I would like to build a replica of this hand-written label, but need better photos (close-ups) of the Canadian He 162 instrument panel.

Can anybody help?

Thanks & regards
Roger
Old 12th May 2008, 14:27

ChrisMAg2
Re: He 162 Instrument Panel Labels

I think you actually have two choices, as you could either hand copy what was supposed to be on the printed plaque in german (although the canadian board doesn't seem to contain that much info) or translate it into english (á la a captured version) and also hand write it. The latter looks to me like the canadian version, which is also hand written on a plate and seems more like a notice!/ or caution! info.

But of course, if you particulary want to replicate the canadian panel, you may just neglect my comment.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:49
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

The label of the Canadian museum He 162 is German (I have a better view of it where you can read exactly the same text as on the printed label). If I have a close-up photo of it, I would copy it myself and write the text using a brush.

The label on my panel is a relatively bad print and I wanted to build the panel exactly according an original (the Canadian He 162 panel).

Kind regards
Roger
Old 12th May 2008, 15:10

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

I wish you had written this email about 2 weeks ago. Last weekend I had my head inside the cockpit of the HE-162 at Garber (NASM). While it is unrestored, it also looks untouched from 60 years ago. After the war when it was being placed in storage by Army personnel (thought to be at Freeman Field), it would not fit, so the outer 5 ft. of the each wing was sawed off. The wing panels are present and when restored will somehow be attached, but obviously not as originally built.

Some other notes:

The HE-219 main wing is near completion and the second DB603 is apart being refurbished. The first DB603 has been restored and is on the floor at Udvar-Hazy along side the restored fuselage with tail. No movement on the TA-152, ME-410, JU-388, or AR-196.