Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 9th October 2022, 23:38

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road
Units Grounded by the Colds or Flu?

Were there instances where entire units were grounded and placed on sick leave by an infectious cold or the flu? And in Russia, dysentery from bad water was a constant companion for entire units, no?

Walter Oesau was needlessly lost while flying with the flu, but I`m wondering if operational availability of entire units was impacted when everyone was sick.

Why am I asking this? Well, I`ve had the flu (or a vicious cold) for two straight weeks. It`s not COVID, I`ve had 5 negative tests.

Bronc
Old 10th October 2022, 00:00
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Units Grounded by the Colds or Flu?

I seem to remember malaria being a problem in the Mediterranean as well.
Old 10th October 2022, 00:31
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Whole units highly unlikely but take it from me flying with a cold can be debilitating as I found to my cost flying back from Masirah to UK. Excruciatingly painful on descent and a week after that to clear my ears
Old 11th October 2022, 18:21

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

during the Spanish influenza outbreak in 1918 this did happen but, I don't think it happened in WW II. As for disease this was a problem in both World Wars for all sides in Russia, Africa, Asia ect.