Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th May 2016, 10:59
Alter Hase

CJE
1939 Polish Air Force markings

Hello there,

Does anyone know how the letter painted under the port wing of Polish aircraft was allocated?
Is there a book or a site dealing with this kind of markings?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 19th May 2016, 11:51

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1939 Polish Air Force markings

Well Chris

It looks like the answer might be "just around the corner" http://mmpbooks.biz/ksiazki/305

Steve
Old 19th May 2016, 12:20
Alter Hase

CJE

Thanks, but 40 GBP...
Old 19th May 2016, 12:32

Tony Kearns

It does sound expensive and for me try converting to Euro. But look at the list of contributors all experts in their subject and the publishers who publish such great subjects.
The price of a meal for two in UK? You have the book forever, the meal is elsewhere!
Regards
Tony K
Old 19th May 2016, 17:04
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

It seems like a number of books I want are moving up in price. As someone working in book publishing, the price is based on what the publisher thinks the market will bear. If a book doesn't sell well, sometimes the price goes down later.

Ed
Old 19th May 2016, 17:42

stukapilot is on a distinguished road

Chris, i guess u might save £40 this time
the book "Polish Air Force 1939 Through German Eyes. vol 1" by Andrzej Glass and Tomasz Kopanski has a brief introduction to those letter allocations, which is on page 10. i dunno if u have this book in your collection, my Chris, so i just kill some minutes to type those words from the book (abridged):

Allocation to a particular unit was marked on aircraft by applying code letters on wing undersurfaces. The codes were:
N for the 1 PL (Pułk Lotniczy - Air Regiment), K for the 2 PL, P for the 3 PL, T for the 4 PL, L for the 5 PL, and S for the 6 PL
training units used the following letters: 1 PL – A, 2 PL – E, 3 PL – F, 6 PL – J, SPL – D (Air Force Cadet Officers’ School), SPRL – R (Air Force Reserve Cadet Officers’ School), SP – U (Flying School at Ułęż), SPLdM – M (Air Force NCO School for Minors), Staff Training Flight (Sztabowa Eskadra Treningowa) – Z, Aviation Technical Institute (ITL) – W. Other underwing code letters included B, used by the SPLdM at Bydgoszcz

is this case closed now ))) for more info if u need, i'd like to take fotos or scanned pics )))
Old 20th May 2016, 09:00
Alter Hase

CJE

Indeed, 40 GBP is not an excessive price. However my bank account bears less and less my spending over 30/40 euros just for having the answer to one single question. My shelves are full of such books...