Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 2nd September 2008, 14:16

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Fl Lt. Robert S Sederberg-317th FS, I have lots of details except one. His plane number. Can anyone help please?

I hope that someone may have a reference to the pilot Robert S Sederberg who was made POW in WW2,
although in doing so he saved many other pilots.

On July 30th 1943, he was hailed a hero for shooting down 5 planes during a huge aerial
battle against an over-whelming number of enemy Bf-109 planes. His actions saved many of
the other pilots flying in the 317th, and although he was only credited with 1xBf-109 on that
day, subsequent records after the war have proved he shot down the number seen by the pilots he saved.
He was, unfortunately shot down, and his was the only plane lost that day, he did manage to bail out and
was captured by Axis forces and made POW in Sardinia.
Although I have tried many avenues, I cannot find any reference to the
number of his plane flown that day, which, as a member of the 317th
Fighter Squadron, would have had a number between 11-39 painted on the
fuselage.

For your records, he was born in 1920 in the town of Cook in the State of illinois. He enlisted to the USAAF from
civilian life in 1942. He was at that time, on July 30th a Flight Lieutenant, and his USAAF Serial number was;
16066537"

I have, I assume, all the details I need to track down which plane he would have been expected to fly on that day, if not a way of tracking down which one he actually did fly from a mission report.

I looked at the link posted by RAF_112_Sqdn and saw that there were loads of point of research, but I need help in tracking down just this one specific detail. The fuselage number on July 30th 1943 flown by Robert S Sederberg USAAF s/n 16066537

Can anyone help? Please?

I am currently working on a Documentary/Movie about the 325th, which Art Fiedler (Mayfair35 on here) has added to greatly.

I will owe anyone who can help me with this a debt of gratitude and they will of course be credited on the DVD, cheers, MP.
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:16

dp_burke is on a distinguished road
Re: Fl Lt. Robert S Sederberg-317th FS, I have lots of details except one. His plane number. Can anyone help please?

Apologies, I see now the info below is not what your looking for.

From the Armyairforces.com databases, might it be:

A/C Serial # Date MACR Group Squadron A/C Type
42-10898 7/30/1943 431 325 P-40

And the footnote.com database lists a Robert S Sederberg against this aircraft/MACR.

have you got the MACR for this loss? MACR 431 POSSIBLY per Footnote.com

regards

Dennis

Last edited by dp_burke; 2nd September 2008 at 16:32. Reason: Realised this is not what your looking for.
Old 2nd September 2008, 20:25

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Re: Fl Lt. Robert S Sederberg-317th FS, I have lots of details except one. His plane number. Can anyone help please?

Ok, all the details I have are in my first post, however your post will I am sure be of use to others who may decide to join me on this quest to find the fuselage number painted on the side of the P-40.

Dennis, thank you for your input, any information can only be of more use to those involved with the search.

As for the MACR, I only wish I had that many details. It literally is all I have in the date, and that it was a P-40 flown by Robert S Sederberg of the 317th FS/ 325th FG

Thanks again for the input, has it helped anyone else in the quest?

Cheers, MP.