Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd February 2006, 13:57
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Operation Aphrodite

Hi guys

I hope someone out there can help me with details of 562ndBS's B-17 drone (BQ-7s) losses/casualties late 1944. I have the following dates and notes:

4 August 1944: Two drones and two controlling B-17s off on first operation. One drone went out of control after first of two crew baled out; the other was killed. Names? Other BQ-7 shot down by flak after crew had baled out over England.

6 August 1944: two BQ-7s and four controlling B-17s off on second operation. The BQ-7 crews baled out as planned but one BQ-7 crashed into sea. The other BQ-7 circled before also crashing into the sea.

Date unknown: Two BQ-7 off to attack targets in Heliogoland. One pilot killed during bale out. Identity? BQ-7 reached target but believed shot down by flak.

Date unknown: Both BQ-7s crashed into sea on route to Heide/Hemmingstedt.

October 1944: Operation against Heliogoland. One shot down by flak, other crashed into sea.

October 1944: One BQ-7 failed to reach target in Heligoland, other crashed into sea.

5 December 1944: Two BQ-7s off to attack Hannover. One shot down by flak, other crashed near target but did not explode.

20 January 1945: Both BQ-7s missed target at Oldenberg. Last operation.

Any help will be most appreciated. Information required for my current book.

Cheers
Brian