Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st June 2005, 22:34
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Fw 190 D-9 or D-11 photo on ebay!

Hello,

The aircraft looks like it could be a Fw 190 D-11. But even if it is a D-9, it is a rare photo. Does anybody know more about it?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

Roger Gaemperle

(PS: I don't know any of the sellers of which I posted the links to their ebay auctions)
Old 2nd June 2005, 14:44

Micke D
Re: Fw 190 D-9 or D-11 photo on ebay!

Nice photo Roger!

My guess is that this, most likely, is two Fw 190 D-11s from Jagdfliegerschule des General der Jagdflieger (spelling?).

"Doras of the Galland Circus" by Jerry Crandall has a photo that looks like it is from the same series, but showing the Dora to the right, (and maybe the He 111 in the background IIRC).

/Micke D
Old 2nd June 2005, 18:31

Kuba Plewka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke D
My guess is that this, most likely, is two Fw 190 D-11s from Jagdfliegerschule des General der Jagdflieger (spelling?).

"Doras of the Galland Circus" by Jerry Crandall has a photo that looks like it is from the same series, but showing the Dora to the right
Micke, you are right I think. I have also compared those two photos. This Dora may be D-11 <<+ W.Nr. 220009
Please note the wooden joist aroud the undercarriage, note the fuselage insert camo and the shape and location of spinner spiral motif.
The canopy is also missing.
Looks very similar to me.

regards
Kuba Plewka
Old 2nd June 2005, 20:43

O.Menu

Note: there is only one Dora exposed two times, not two different Dora !

Because since the photographer dont rewind enought the film on the right you have a second shot from the same airplane but on a slightly more frontal view, overexposed over the first image. This is why you can see for example the He 111 wing going through the right Dora and so on...

Old 2nd June 2005, 21:23

Micke D

O. Menu: you are right of course!

I thought it looked strange with the spinner "in" the wing of the Heinkel, but I'm at work and have not had any time to examine the photo really close yet.

Kuba: I actually don’t think this is “White <<+ “, W.Nr. 220009.

If you take a close look at the D-11 photo in “Doras of the Galland Circus”, it looks like this one was marked “White <<-+”.

The white horizontal bar should have been visible on the photos that exist of W.Nr. 220009, but I can not find it on any of the photos.

I don’t think that the camo looks exactly the same on the aft fuselage either.

I asked Jerry Crandall, a year or two ago, what he thought about this, but he believed that this one is “White <<+ “, W.Nr. 220009.

I’m going to take a close look at these photos when I get home.

/Micke D
Old 2nd June 2005, 23:29

Kuba Plewka

Micke, it is very interesting point. I have compared both photos (from J.Crandall's Doras and P.Rodeike's 190 Jagdlugzeug).
I have cut the middle fusselage section, zoomed and compared chevrons.
Besides that horizontal bar, both chevrons seems to be almost identical or very, very similar in size and placement.
The photo quality of that D-11 from Mr.Crandall "Doras" is lower than that from "Jagflugzeug" and it's really hard to say something more, for example if it has it's fuselage insert joint primed with dark colour as it is visible on 220009.
What is preety visible is that forest around.
That 220009 dora from one photo stands beetwen big trees and bush, that from "DotGC" stands in something like more open field. The same with our EBay Dora.
I think, the photo from EBay and "Doras" shows the same plane but I'm not sure now if it really is 220009.
I'm preety confused now

Thanks for changing my point of view!
Regards

Kuba
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:49

Pitbiker is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

today i find this.
A new book is on the way.

THE FOCKE-WULF FW 190 DORA D-9, D-11, D-13
Author: Crandall, Jerry