Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th May 2005, 10:26

Andrey Dikov
LW airfields classification

One of the members of our Russian aviation history forum asked a question about classification of the LW airfields and translation from German:

Fliegerhorste
A-Fliegerhorste
B-Fliegerhorste
E-Häfen
Sonstige Flugplätze
Leithorste
Feldflughäfen

I've interested too, can you give any cents?

Andrey
Old 12th May 2005, 17:42

Norbert Schuchbauer
Re: LW airfields classification

Here is what I have:

Fliegerhorst (Airfield)
Fully developed airfields with peacetime activity as well. They were the peacetime airfields of flying units as well as training regiments, flying schools and higher supply units (Luftzeugämter, Luftpark). There was a communications unit attached which carried the same name as the airfield.

A for units and schools
B for Luftzeugämter and Luftparke (Supply and acceptance units)
C for Training airfields
D for training establishment of the reserve

Leithorst (Command airfield)

In every Flughafenbereich (Greater airfield area) one airfield was designated as the "command airfield". This airfield was the headquarter of the commander of the area. All subordinated airfield had direct communication links to this airfield. In addition these airfields had a Flying Group consisting of flying and technical personnell and 2 aircraft.

L for Leithorst

Einsatzhäfen (E-Häfen, Operational airfield)

It was asumed that during a conflict airfields would be easily spotted by the enemy. This is when Operational airfields were created. Those airfields were equipped with all the logistical infrastructure to accomodate a flying unit in case of war but initially had no unit based there. There were 2 categories I. and II. The difference being that one had provisions for underground fuel storage and rail access and the other one did not. All had provisions for instrument approaches a runway and other technical provisions. Mostly KG, StG and ZG were earmarked to use these fields.

E for Einsatzplätze, -häfen

Feldflugplatz (Auxiliary airfield)

Those were airfields that changed location quite often to accommodate the troop movement during battle. Highly mobile infrastructure. Mostly used by JG, SG and Aufkl.

Scheiflugplätze (Dummy airfields)

Intended to fool reconaissance.

Liegeplatz, Liegehafen

Parking areas within the boundary of an Feldfluplatz to park and disperse aircraft.

Absprunghäfen, Aufmarschhäfen

Airfield to gather units prior to military action to ensure the composition and strength were adequate for the intended action.

Regards,

Norbert
Old 13th May 2005, 09:40

Andrey Dikov

Thank you very much, Norbert, for your very interesting and detailed reply! Just great.

Andrey
Old 13th May 2005, 15:56

vzlion

Very interesting information. Are their any lists that use these designations to identify the airfields.

Walt
Old 13th May 2005, 18:54

Norbert Schuchbauer

There is a book by Gianfranco Mattiello about Fliegerhorstkommandanturen and Flugplätze der deutschen Luftwaffe 1939-1945 published by Biblio Verlag Osnabrück in 2000. No ISBN number. It is about 529 pages thick.

There are files available from the Bundesarchiv regarding this subject too. I do not have the RL code, I'm sorry.

I do not know how to obtain a copy form the US. Fortunately my mother in Germany assists me in getting some of those items.

Regards,

Norbert
Old 13th May 2005, 21:58

werner

>>No ISBN number.<<

ISBN 3-7648-2522-7

Werner