Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th December 2009, 20:10

BlenheimBuff is on a distinguished road
Info sought on RCAF Mosquito Pilot C.P.Moran

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for any information on the service career of a Canadian Pilot named C.P.Moran (Carroll Patrick Moran) who flew mosquitos during WW2. I'm afraid that I don't have any more information than that, so this is going to be a bit of a long shot. He would probably have flown with one of the RCAF mossie squadrons, so either 409, 410 or 418.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 12th December 2009, 21:37

mhuxt
Re: Info sought on RCAF Mosquito Pilot C.P.Moran

There was a Wing Commander Moran flying Mosquitos on 418 Squadron, however I'm not sure the first & middle names match.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:44

Thanks for the reply,

But unfortunately this is not the same guy, you are referring to C.C. Moran who was a well known Mossie pilot from the same period. There appears to have been quite a few Canadian pilots with the same surname during WW2....just my luck!

Regards,

Ian
Old 13th December 2009, 05:59

mhuxt

Thought so, dang. The Wingco was the only fellow I could find on Hugh Halliday's list of RCAF Honours and Awards.

There's no certainty though that he would have been on one of the 400 Squadrons. There were many, many Canucks in RAF and other Commonwealth squadrons, which naturally complicates your task.

Did your man survive the war?
Old 13th December 2009, 21:50

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information, you may well be right concerning my 'tunnel vision' on the 400 sqns, only I'm sure that I'd read somewhere that by the latter stages of WW2 there had been a policy of 'Canadianizing' squadrons rather than spreading the RCAF pilots around other units.

In this instance Mr Moran did survive the war, and I am lucky enough to be visiting him in the New Year. This exercise was really just to give me some background information before that meeting.

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone out there who thinks that they may have any information.

Regards,

Ian
Old 14th December 2009, 01:23

Bill Walker is on a distinguished road

Ian;

Canadianization was a policy late in the war, but the war ended with at least 25% of the RCAF overseas serving in RAF units. There were still RAF people in the RCAF occupation squadrons into 1946.
Old 14th December 2009, 03:35

mhuxt

Sorry I couldn't help more. I'll have a squizz through my books, but, frankly, "I don't fancy your chances.'

Give Mr. Moran my best.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:13

Thanks for your help on this Guys, I had a feeling that it was going to be a long shot.

Regards,

Ian