Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 5th September 2019, 17:07
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Bill Hess

Bill Hess died yesterday, September 4, 2019.

He was my mentor in the American Fighter Aces Association.

Rest in Peace.

Frank.
Historian, American Fighter Aces Association
Old 5th September 2019, 17:13

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough
Re: Bill Hess

RIP. Another author that left us .
Old 6th September 2019, 22:29

Edward is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the notification Frank. What will be his legacy as an author and historian?

I don't yet see an obituary. Was his wife's name Alma J. Hess of Monongahela, Penn?

Edward
Old 7th September 2019, 00:32
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Edward,
His wife's name was Anne, and she died more than ten years ago.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:32

Edward is on a distinguished road

Bill Hess
William Nelson Hess

September 1, 1925 - September 4, 2019

B-17 Gunner in WWII, POW, author of books Pacific Sweep: The 5th and 13th Fighter Commands in World War II (1974), 49th Fighter Group: Aces of the Pacific (2004), Zemke's Wolfpack: The 56th Fighter Group in World War II (1992) and many others.

"William “Bill” Nelson Hess began his life in a spectacular way in Homer, Louisiana by being the first caesarian cessation birth in the state on September 1, 1925. Bill lived in Homer with his mother Bessie Hess and father, C.G. Hess. Graduating from Homer High School in 1942, he then attended Texas A&M University at College Station for one year before enlisting in the United States Army Air Force.

Bill was part of the historic 340th Squadron of the 97th Bomb Group. During the war, he was a courageous warrior occupying a seat with the Flying Fortress Squadron fighter as a Waist Gunner. On September 13th, 1944, (12 days after his 19th birthday), his plane was shot down by enemy fire, ejecting him into a tree for three days before being captured by German soldiers. Bill was a prisoner of war for seven months and was forced to make the Death March where he was starved, frozen, and suffered from gout in his feet. Perseverance carried him through the unimaginable torture and back home to the United States to become a decorated war veteran who was awarded with the Purple Heart among countless other medals. Later in his life when asked if we would ever parachute from a plane for fun he said, “I don’t know why anyone would jump from a perfectly good airplane.”

Upon returning home Bill re-enlisted in the United States Air Force and taught Airplane Mechanics until his discharge in 1952. He received his degree in Business Administration from Louisiana Tech. He retired from United Gas, which transferred him to Houston from Shreveport, LA in the 1970s.

World War II shaped the trajectory of his life. Bill was a noted expert and historian for the Elite Fighter Aces and their crews who fought to keep America safe. He wrote and co-authored 28 books about World War II, the Fighter Aces, and their missions. He took great pride in his distinction of being the Historian for The Fighter Aces Association.

His thirst for knowledge helped him create one of the most complete World War II libraries in the nation. He enjoyed sharing his research and knowledge with other aficionados and authors.

Bill was married to Antoinette Fontana Hess for 60 years and had two children, Linda Lundgren and Edward Biggs. His granddaughter, Michelle Beckwith was the light of his life. He also had several rescued canine children that he loved and considered family. He and Antionette took in stray neighborhood dogs and were known for feeding them gourmet meals daily. His last dog Blackie was his best friend and they shared many deep conversations.

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019, Bill made his transition from earth at 94 years of age (3 days after his birthday). He was preceded in death by his parents C.G. and Bessie Hess, his wife Antoinette, and his grandson Michael Beckwith.

He will take his rightful place of rest with Military Honors in the Houston National Cemetery on Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 2:00pm.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations in his name to the Galveston Island Humane Society or the charity of your choice."

Carnes Brother Funeral Home
Old 24th September 2019, 01:44

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone!!

I flew down to Houston last Wednesday and attended the internment of our friend and mentor, William Hess.

The ceremony was nicely attended by family and friends and the rain held off for the outside gathering for just a few minutes, so we could pay proper tribute to a great American patriot.

Bill's ashes were deposited inside of a special urn and enclosed inside of a beautiful wooden box with a P-51 Mustang on the outside. Very fitting.

A few ashes were saved by the family and will be scattered sometime in the near future when they will spread over a special spot as they are dropped waist position of a B-17G Flying Fortress. Bill's old office. He requested this as one of his very last wishes.

Bill took me under his wing back in the mid-'90s. Not only was he a supportive and golden friend, he also was an great inspiration, a mentor, a teacher and a true gentleman to the core.

I loved him very much and I will miss our chats.

Bill had a nickname for me, "Gypsy," because I travelled so much and tried to attend every reunion I could possible make of specific Fighter Groups and Bomber Groups, especially Eighth Air Force organizations.

Last Wednesday, I felt that the "Gypsy" had better go pay tribute to his friend in Houston. I'm so very glad that I did.

For all that read this, I carried your all spirits and heartfelt sympathies to Bill's family. Although I know that you couldn't be there, I profoundly expressed to his family how many thousands of people he touched in his life through his dedicated research, his skilled writing ability and the love he had for helping fellow historians and writers, like myself, reach for the truth and leave a legacy with their life with their research and passion.

Bill made many people smile throughout the world as they enjoyed the dozens of volumes he left to mark his amazing journey. A great life and a great man.

Mark Copeland
Lakeville, Minnesota

Last edited by Mark Copeland; 24th September 2019 at 02:16.
Old 25th September 2019, 01:30
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Sad to hear............a well-known name from the early days of WWII aviation historical research, for me: the second half of the 1960's. I must confess to sometimes mixing up William Hess and Kenn Rust, I guess because both last names were 4 letters long.

RIP William Hess.

L.
Old 25th September 2019, 21:18

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road

Nice sentiment. Both Bill and Ken were pioneers. They did it back when there was no internet, email, Skype, FaceTime, etc. Telephones and letters. That was it.

Amazing research with the limited resources they had.

Mark Copeland