Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th December 2019, 18:53

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road
Re: "The Jet Night Fighters" now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
my copy arrived yesterday ..it is a fine addition to the 'library'!

some 'strange' formatting decisions (city names in italics, present tense mission diary), but these are minor-league criticisms.

..super initiative to produce it at such a good price point - and let Amazon pick up the postage!
Hi Neil,

thanks for your mail and the review - I really appreciate it. And yes, the decision to print the city names in italics might be strange, the reason simply was that I have decided to leave them in their original German spelling and thus mark them as "German" words... like I did with many others... something I will rethink in the future, thanks for the feedback!

Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 17th December 2019, 16:59

Orwell1984 is on a distinguished road

My copy arrived today and on first look seems excellent. The quality of self published works has improved dramatically in the last couple of years. This is great news as it allows works like this that might be passed over by larger publishers to see the light of day. Appreciate the effort you put into this work !

Last edited by Orwell1984; 17th December 2019 at 19:04.
Old 17th December 2019, 18:05
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

But why present tense war diary?
Old 29th December 2019, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
But why present tense war diary?
Hm, good question - maybe a matter of "foreign language speaker" but personally, to me "present tense" reads more lively than the more "reporting" past tense... I will reconsider for future works, appreciate the feedback!

Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)
Old 30th December 2019, 00:44
Alter Hase

Andreas, it is not more "lively", very much the opposite. Apparently some fiction authors decided it is "artsy". But in 99 % of cases it fails in fiction and in 100 % it fails in non-fiction: it gives the impression of artificiality and uncertainty (present tense=action that is still going on and is thus unfinished). I know several history books in Finnish which are basically ruined by the partial/full use of present tense. To me it is a deal breaker.
Old 30th December 2019, 08:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Andreas, I bought your book too. Jukka’s is opinion with no more force or authority than that of any other individual reader. However, he has worked hard at establishing the public persona of someone who can find fault with every conceivable aspect of the books he encounters.
Old 30th December 2019, 10:23

Jukka & Nick,

let's put it this way - first, everyone if entitled to their own opinion, and I am not one that is easily frustrated when other people see things differently. That said, my own opinion counts as well

Jukka was not the only one with the comment on the "present tense" and picking up his definition of "present tense=action that is still going on and is thus unfinished" I would like to amend this by the definition of the "historical present": "the historical present or historic present, also called dramatic present or narrative present, is the employment of the present tense when narrating past events. It is widely used in writing about history in Latin (where it is sometimes referred to by its Latin name, praesens historicum) and some modern European languages. In English, it is used above all in historical chronicles (listing a series of events)."

It comes down to a matter of taste, I guess - although I have to agree with Jukka that it is the more "unusual" form - nonetheless, I have decided to use it on purpose to emphasize the "narrative" part of the book.

But again, this is a matter of taste and - as we say in German - "taste is something you cannot argue about"

Thanks for everyone's feedback and as I said: I will rethink this in future works.

Everyone has a great year's end and may 2020 look at all of you in good favour!

Andreas

Old 30th December 2019, 11:57
Alter Hase

Nick, if anything is considered perfect, it's evolution stagnates. And such stagnation has similar destructive effects as does revaluation have for economic life.

And honestly, do you want to read about history in present tense? Did you write your books in present tense?
Old 30th December 2019, 12:06
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Nick, if anything is considered perfect, it's evolution stagnates. And such stagnation has similar destructive effects as does revaluation have for economic life.

And honestly, do you want to read about history in present tense? Did you write your books in present tense?
(A) None of which explains (for example) your antipathy to sans serif fonts, or ragged right margins — these complaints more resemble quirks of personal taste than any selfless pursuit of literary excellence.

(B) I have in fact tried the present tense on my website for a piece which consisted of a sequence of signals rather than a narrative. It doesn't work for everything but nor would I dismiss it in all circumstances.
Old 30th December 2019, 19:25

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

I've finished it today. I really enjoyed it. It's good to see such piece of research published, whatever the means.