Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th January 2012, 00:28
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Trying to validate Factory code of TN+AG for a He111 shot down on May 10, 1940

Hello,

After a great deal of piecing together photo and other evidence, the EoE working group has identified an He111 of 7./KG53 that force-landed and burned near Ell, W of Redange, Luxembourg, on 10 May 1940, as carrying the a/c code ?N+AG. The first letter could be a "T", giving us "TN+AG." This apparently is a factory code, and not the A1+?R you would expect from this unit. Probably a new a/c just going into service with 7./KG53, and there not being time change to a unit code before it was shot down on the opening day of the Blitzkrieg. I know that there are experts working on these factory codes. Does TN+AG work for an He111H coming off the assembly line about April or early May of 1940? Is it even a valid He111 factory code? If not a "T", is there any other factory code first letter suggested for that time frame? Finally, if the number fits, what would the corresponding W.Nr. for this a/c be?

Regards,
Old 20th January 2012, 13:48

gogh is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to validate Factory code of TN+AG for a He111 shot down on May 10, 1940

Hello Larry

For the LEMB stkz-base I have collected

TN+AK as a He111E
TN+AT as a He111B-2

Your stkz could be a real stkz but i think not from a production block.

Kind regards

Peter van Gogh
Old 20th January 2012, 18:18
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trying to validate Factory code of TN+AG for a He111 shot down on May 10, 1940

Hello Larry,

If not a T what could you suggest ??

Rémi
Old 20th January 2012, 19:44
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Rémi et al,

Based upon clear photos we're certain of the code ?N+AG for this a/c viewed from the port side. The fuselage was broken and had partially burned at the point of the missing letter, but possibly part of the top right cross of a "T" may be visible. A French report on the interrogation of one of the crewman reports the aircraft markings as T.M.+Q in black, but Peter Cornwell interprets this as deliberate misinformation from the captured crewman, Uffz Willi Wolf. We don't have the NVMs for either the BM, Fl-Stab-Ing. Emil Issel (of Erp.Stelle Rechlin), who baled out over Olizy-sur-Chiers but was killed, or the pilot, Lt. (FNU) Franke, who was shot in the stomach and admitted to the hospital at Redange, Luxembourg. We would greatly appreciate copies of these NVMs if anyone has them. Franke has been previously confused with Lt. Alfred Franke, BO, of AufklSt. 7 Fl.Div, who was killed in the crash of a Hs126 near Piershil, Nethrlands, on May 11th. We have his NVM.

Who can supply these NVMs, and thus clarify the full name of Lt. Franke, and his ultimate fate.

Also, if anyone has clear starboard side photos of the rear fuselage of this crashed He111, it could confirm without question the full coding on this a/c as TN+AG, which can only have been an SKZ. If this is a valid number, I'm still hoping that someone can equate that to a W.Nr.

Regards,
Old 20th January 2012, 20:05
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

It's for sure not TA+N as this row were given to old He 111 B and Do 17 training maschines. But it,s difficult to discuss a photo wich can not be seen.

Junker
Old 20th January 2012, 20:18
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Junker,

We're still processing the most recent photo into our EoE photo data base, but as soon as we have it done, I'll send you directly copies of the two most relevant photos.

Regards,

Larry
Old 20th January 2012, 23:18
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder what Issel made on this plane , quoted to be from Erpr. St. Rechlin nd 10.KG53...maybe really a B Model, used for any tricky thing...

Rémi
Old 20th January 2012, 23:48
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Rémi,

Since the front of the a/c is burned out, I really can't tell the subtype. We have this listed as an 7./KG53 He111H in our loss DB.

Regards,
Old 21st January 2012, 18:51

Pieter H is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

An old case.
I have pretty clear picture of the left side of the a/c showing N + A1. However, the area around the Balkenkreuz is vague, so I can see whether the N was the first or second letter.
In an earlier discussion on Luftarchiv.de the code was (without further explanation or source) mentioned as A1+NR, see
http://www.luftwaffe-bullet-board.co...highlight=kg53

The same picture I have is by the way in Arnaud Gillets "Victoire de la Chasse Francaise" pt2 p.166. He also mentions the N+A1 and concludes it must have been the A1+NR.

The general interpretation is still that this was an exceptional case where the two parts of the code were switched. So NR+A1 instead of A1+NR. Don't ask me why, but apparently some freedom was allowed e.g. units starting the individual letter from Z instead of A. Or an apprentice "aircraft letter painter" who mis-interpreted the instructions? For all clarity, it can not be a case of an inverted/mirrored picture, since the letter N and the Swastika would then be wrong, which they are clearly not.

Until proven wrong I therefore also stick to the code A1+NR, placed in reverse order.

Kind regards, Pieter
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:50

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Pieter,

Ask yourself what is the more likely ? That the aircraft was coded TN+AG - from a known block of He111 SKZ, or that it carried the corrupted unit codes NR+A1 ? For, as Gillet himself notes, that would be exceptional.

Knowing for sure that the unit is 7./KG53, we try to make sense of the markings that can be distinguished on the remains of the burned out fuselage, and stretch the evidence to fit the case. So the N (being irrefutable, and given the fact that this is a 7./KG53 aircraft), has to be the individual letter for it can be no other. Similarly, the other visible letter (conveniently an A) has to be the first letter of the unit code A1. Result ? The unit code A1 appears after the Balkankreuz while the individual letter N and (invisible) 7 Staffel letter R must be those ahead of the Balkankreuz. And from what can be seen in the photo published in VCF2 p166 this may all be fair enough.

Pieter, you know that I respect your views and value your opinions in these matters but in this case, believe me, the fact is that this aircraft was coded TN+AG. Not such a rare avis as was proposed.