Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st March 2010, 16:09
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
KG4 losses 18/19 June 1940

Hi guys

I'm seeking first names of the following who were lost/POW during raid on East Anglia on the night of 18/19 June 1940:

He111 5J+GA Corpus, Gross, Vick, Simon (who was pilot?)
He111 5J+DM von Massenbach, Jordan, Leimer, Allenberger (who was pilot?)
He111 5J+FP Bachaus, Kuhn, Boeck, Reitzig (who was pilot?)
He111 5J+?? Prochnow + 3 NCOs (who was pilot?)

Cheers
Brian
Old 31st March 2010, 16:55

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: KG4 losses 18/19 June 1940

Brian,

KG4 losses that night were as follows:

Stabsstaffel KG4 Heinkel He111H-4 (2894). Shot down by F/Lt A.G. Malan of No.74 Squadron during pre-attack night reconnaissance sortie and crashed in Springfield Road, Chelmsford, 12.30 a.m. BO Oberlt Heinz-Georg Corpus, BM Oberfw Walter Gross and BF Fw Walter Vick all killed, FF Lt Erich Simon baled out and captured wounded. Aircraft 5J+GA 100% write-off.
German documents indicate that this aircraft was engaged in an attack on Thameshaven.

Stab I./KG4 Heinkel He111H-4. Badly damaged in attack by RAF night-fighters but returned to belly-land on beach east of Calais. Possibly that claimed by P/O J.D. Humphreys off Norfolk coast. FF Fw Erich Gregor, BO Oberlt Falk Willis, BF Fw Karl Brückner, and BM Uffz Josef Jochmann all unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off.

I./KG4 Heinkel He111H-4. Returned damaged by AA fire during night sortie over East Anglia. No crew casualties. Aircraft under 60% damaged but repairable.

StabII./KG4 Heinkel He111H-4 (8747). Shot down by F/Lt R.M.B. Duke-Woolley of No.23 Squadron during night sortie to attack Honington and Mildenhall airfields and ditched off-shore at The Hood, Cley next the Sea, Norfolk 12.50 a.m. BO Major Dietrich Fr von Massenbach (Gruppenkommandeur), FF Oberlt Ulrich Jordan (Gruppe TO), and BF Oberfw Max Leimer all captured unhurt, BM Fw Karl Amberger captured badly wounded. Aircraft 5J+DM 100% write-off.
Due to the severity of his wounds, Karl Amberger was repatriated to Germany in 1943. The wreck remained in situ until 1969 when it was deemed a hazard to navigation and blown up.

4./KG4 Heinkel He111P. Shot down by P/O J.S. Barnwell of No.29 Squadron during night sortie to attack Mildenhall airfield and crashed in the sea near Cork Sand light vessel off Felixstowe 1.25 a.m. Possibly also that attacked by F/Lt A.G. Malan of No.74 Squadron. FF Hptmn Hermann Prochnow (Staffelkapitän) and BF Oberfw Hermann Wojis both killed,HB Uffz Franz Heyeres and BM Fw Richard Bunk both missing. Aircraft 100% write-off.
The body of Herman Prochnow came ashore on the Isle of Sheppey on June 29 and was buried at Sheerness on July 9, 1940. That of Hermann Wojis was found on the Afsluitdijk, near Den Helder, on August 13 and buried at Huisduinen two days later.

4./KG4 Heinkel He111P. Shot down by F/O G.W. Petre of No.19 Squadron and S/L J.S. O’Brien of No.23 Squadron during night sortie to attack Mildenhall airfield and crashed at Fleam Dyke, Six Mile Bottom, Cambridgeshire, 1.15 a.m. BO Oberlt Joachim von Arnim, and FF Fw Wilhelm Maier both baled out and captured unhurt, BF Fw Karl Hauck baled out and captured wounded, BM Uffz Paul Gersch killed. Aircraft 5J+AM 100% write-off.

4./KG4 Heinkel He111P. Returned damaged by fighters during night sortie to attack Mildenhall airfield and possibly that attacked by P/O L.G.H. Kells of No.29 Squadron off Felixstowe. BF Fw Heinz Schäfer badly wounded in stomach - admitted to hospital in Lille, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft damage state not recorded.

6./KG4 Heinkel He111H. Badly damaged over Colchester by F/O G.E. Ball of No.19 Squadron during night sortie to attack Honington airfield. Jettisonned bombs and headed for base but crashed in the sea off Sackets Gap, Margate, 2.15 a.m. FF Lt Hans-Jürgen Bachaus, BF Uffz Theodor Kühn, and BM Uffz Fritz Boeck all captured unhurt, HB Fw Alfred Reitzig attempted to bale out but parachute snagged tailplane and killed. Aircraft 5J+FP 100% write-off.
Old 31st March 2010, 17:02
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Hpt. Hermann Prochow body washed ashore Sheerness in July, 5J+GA ( fell to Malan) Ff Ltn Erich Simon, B Oblt Heinz-Georg Corpus, Bf Fw Walter Vick, Bm Fw Walter Gross. 5J+LM Ff Fw Willi Maier, B Oblt. Joachim v Armin, Bf Fw Karl Hauck, Bm Uffz Paul Gersch, 5J+DM Ff Oblt Ulrch Jordan, Maj Dietrich Frhr. von Massenbach, Bf Ofw Max Leimer, Bm Fw Karl Amberger, 5J+FP Ff Ltn Hans Jurgen Bachhaus, B Fw Alfred Reitzig, Bf Uffz Theo Kuhn, Bm Uffz Fritz Boeck.
When I was a kid a father of one of my mates who was in the LV had Simons sidecap and pistol, Apparantly Simon came down by my mates grannies cottage.
Chris Goss has covered this raid in one of his books and a magazine article.
Old 31st March 2010, 17:37
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for the prompt replies, Peter and Brian, just what I required.

I do feel rather foolish as I have a copy of Chris Goss' THE LUFTWAFFE BOMBERS' BATTLE OF BRITAIN on the bookshelf beside me. I didn't think of checking this as the raid was pre-Battle of Britain!!

Cheers
Brian
Old 31st March 2010, 17:41
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Dont worry Brian it comes to all of us.
Old 17th December 2010, 13:04

alysloper is on a distinguished road

Sorry it's a bit late but only just wandered onto this forum via the name of FW Alfred Reitzig, who is buried at Margate cemetery, close to where I live. I am interested in the local Home Guard and found out that the crew of HeIII 5J+FP were picked up by the local Local Defence Volunteers.

regards
Ian
Old 17th December 2010, 13:07
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Ian: If you get hold of my book 'The Luftwaffe's Battle of Britain The Bombers Battle' you will see photos of Reitzig before his death plus photos of the He 111 and crew as well as accounts from 2 of the crew, one of whom is still alive albeit in his mid-90s