Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th October 2018, 22:18

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Ju 52 - beginning of Bernburg production?

In 1937 production of the Ju 52 switched from Junkers Dessau to newly-developed Bernburg production site. Do we know the exact date respectively the WNr block when this took place?Thanks for any hints.

RolandF
Old 6th October 2018, 00:12

Gerhard is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju 52 - beginning of Bernburg production?

The first confirmed Bernburg-built Ju 52 is WNr 5912.

There may have been a few earlier examples built at Bernburg, and, for some time, the lines at Dessau and Bernburg seem to have been run in parallel.

Gerhard
Old 6th October 2018, 01:00
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
The first confirmed Bernburg-built Ju 52 is WNr 5912.
There may have been a few earlier examples built at Bernburg, and, for some time, the lines at Dessau and Bernburg seem to have been run in parallel.
Gerhard
No, no. No there was no Bernburg "production" per se.
Just assembly - wings, engines, undercarriages and tails mated to fuselage, test and delivery. Period.

Bernburg/Strenzfeld was only assembly location, fuselages were from Junkers Zweigwerk-Aschersleben, like Ju 87 and Ju 88.
Wings come from elsewhere etc. I find this strange still these errors abound. This has been stated many time, is marked on every dataplate
(one just has to know how to look)and I have this also verified from Junkers Aschersleben records in Bundesarchiv.
Ju 52/3m fuselage (parts) also come from Leipzig, and ABC program had more variation on production.

Image upload tonight at tinypic seems broken. Have some pages here of Ju 52/3m fuselages "taktstrasse" at Aschersleben,
both old line and newer. Whilst figuring out upload possiblilities, I also remember having actual Ju 52 fuselage production chart from FZA (Aschersleben)
and Serie chart for 1941-1942. But this is far more complex than practical to do here.

Last edited by edNorth; 6th October 2018 at 01:57. Reason: additions
Old 6th October 2018, 02:06
Alter Hase

One page here.
Old 6th October 2018, 02:14
Alter Hase

FZA Serie program. Excuse smallness of image, for TOCH reasons, also quality is not good, as pic of Microfilm Roll reader screen, NARA / Washington.
Old 6th October 2018, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
No, no. No there was no Bernburg "production" per se.
Just assembly - wings, engines, undercarriages and tails mated to fuselage, test and delivery. Period.
@edNorth:

I didn't speak about "production", but wrote "Bernburg-built".

For me, an aircraft is built (or you may say produced, assembled, or whatever) where it is finally completed and (usually) makes its first flight. Period, too.

And, I think, RolandF wants to know which aircraft (WNr) came out of the Bernburg production/assembly/whatever line.

Gerhard
Old 6th October 2018, 02:39
Alter Hase

Mr. Gerhard, excuse. This is not personal. For your infomation, both your writing and "explantion" is incorrect. But Rolands question is also incorrect, because JFM production was complex. And built and/or production mean same thing.
Bernburg deliveres begin between 5901 and 5912. Exact who was first I do not have here. I may have it in other files but as you are so offended I will not bother.

Do you entierly dismiss I provided samples or ORIGINAL docs as evidence on this?
You should seriously reconsider your attitude. I have nothing further to do here.

Ed

Last edited by edNorth; 6th October 2018 at 03:00. Reason: typos
Old 6th October 2018, 12:14
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Sorry Ed

You usually have many good points but in this case I completely agree with Gerhard.

Factories doing sub-assemblies or manufacturing parts etc cannot be considered to be the place where the aircraft is being built. Surely you cannot consider these Ju 52s to have been built at Aschersleben?

Since every industry both then and today are/were extremely dependent on sub-suppliers these parts just had to get together somewhere and in my book (and probably most people) that is where the aircraft itself is built.

Otherwise you will end up with the statement that no aircraft, cars, ships etc are never built at all, they just come together. I don't believe there is single industry neither then nor now, manufacturing more complex goods, that is doing everything in one place.

If you were to make such a statement to either, let's say Volvo and SAAB, they are not building cars or aeroplanes at Torslanda or in Linköping they would probably think you were joking...

Cheers
Stig
Old 6th October 2018, 15:28
Alter Hase

Stig, my answer is complete. Next 48 hours cooling down time gives others time to collect their thoughts and possibly others chance to comment.
I decided to "waste my time" on other things in the cooling period.
Old 8th October 2018, 00:35

edNorth writes:
"Bernburg/Strenzfeld was only assembly location, fuselages were from Junkers Zweigwerk-Aschersleben, like Ju 87 and Ju 88. Wings come from elsewhere etc. I find this strange still these errors abound. This has been stated many time, is marked on every dataplate."

Fact is that ALL externally visible dataplates on the three (unfortunately only two now) Swiss Ju 52, which were built at Bernburg, simply state "Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke AG Dessau", i.e. no mention of Aschersleben nor of Bernburg. There are ca. 10 such plates on each of the three aircraft.

Inncluded in the Wnr range 5901 to 5911 there were some passenger aircraft (i.e. fuselage without a r/h 'Ladeklappe'), which were most certainly NOT built at Bernburg.

Thus it seems, at least initially (i.e. for some time after production started at Bernburg) there were no complete Wnr blocks at either Dessau or Bernburg.

Gerhard