Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 18th March 2020, 18:12
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: A plea from me and no doubt other writers

Prior to the internet, I went to the local hobby shop, looked over the books and bought what interested me. I was in one hobby shop/hobby game store where I was one of four people, including employees, when that fourth person came in, picked up a book, complained loudly to no one in particular and put it back. He then picked up something else, paid for it and left. That is the natural order of things.

I think it should be kept in mind that on the internet, the few can appear to be the many. After nearly four decades in book publishing, I know that the few are the few, not the many.
Old 19th March 2020, 17:06

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

I think the whole Amazon reviews section is slowly dying (I don't know why) - there are far fewer reviews than there used to be.

It seems that to try and encourage people to give a grading, Amazon have recently introduced that you can leave an anonymous star rating without having to provide a written review.

I have noticed several seemingly 5-star books been downgraded because people (presumably trolls) have anonymously left a one-star grading without giving a reason.

If people give a one-star or five-star grading, they should have to explain their grading.

(Similarly, it must be a couple of years ago now since Amazon removed the thumbs up/thumbs down on reader reviews and you can only now like a review).
Old 19th March 2020, 18:34
Alter Hase

The rating system on amazon.com has broken down. When anonymous persons can take potshots at each other as opposed to giving a book a proper review, then I suggest amazon use actual reviews posted by actual people on credible sites or from other sources, like newspapers or magazines.

The reviews are now, in too many cases, more like a discussion forum.
Old 19th March 2020, 20:02

Lagarto

Some years ago I got a one-star review for one of my P-47 books. It was titled: "Seller knows of deception but does nothing!" and read: "Just to warn everyone the cover shown is Vol.III, which is out of print. I have complained to the book seller of the deception, but to no avail. I guess it's easier to lie and cheat."
Boy, was I furious
Old 19th March 2020, 21:07
Alter Hase

I was looking for the English language edition of a book about Argentinian aircraft. On amazon.com, the cover photo clearly shows that it is the English language edition, but in the title, it states French edition.
Old 23rd March 2020, 02:04
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
As for photo books, e.g. Joshua Stoff's book on American aircraft production is definitely a photo book, but thanks to very extensive captions, it has substantial text as well. Perhaps authors/publishers should consider having similar substantial captions as standard...
I smiled...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 23rd March 2020, 04:57
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasco View Post
I smiled...
Which implies you prefer captions with few words like "An aircraft over England."...
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:10

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

..once you hand the material over JJ anything can happen to it. I've just written my first two books..due out soon. My editor/publisher stuck rigidly to the word-count he'd imposed and cut ruthlessly. However once the designer had finished I was able to put quite a bit of the 'cut' material back into the captions where there was plenty of room...
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:15
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Neil, was the editor limited by page count and "standard" design? If only the former, slight design changes can increase the space for text greatly.
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:25
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Which implies you prefer captions with few words like "An aircraft over England."...
I would suggest you don't talk crap about something you obviously know nothing about - i.e. my books.

Buy the books and read my captions. Until then, DON'T make any kind of judgement call about the content and captions in my works. We can do without idiots like you making such comments...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!