Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th July 2010, 22:09

lampie is on a distinguished road
Can anyone identify these objects?

This may well be considered "off topic" and if so I apologise in advance but I'm trying to identify these objects which were found on an old USAAF base last year.
I have an idea what their purpose may be but haven't been able to find any reference photos to confirm this.

Thanks in advance.
Nige
Old 25th July 2010, 21:31

Empiricist is on a distinguished road
Re: Can anyone identify these objects?

Object No. 2 looks like cargo door stairs but they are neither for C-46 nor C-47.
Old 25th July 2010, 22:53

lampie is on a distinguished road
Re: Can anyone identify these objects?

I wouldn't think they would be stairs.
Theyre very heavy, and roughly the same size as the objects in the first photo but without the "hoop".
The boot visible in the first photo gives an idea of scale.
I'm thinking they might be some sort of portable aircraft tie down but can't find any photos or drawings to compare them to.