Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 3rd September 2007, 09:09
Alter Hase

Kutscha
Osprey Aces books

I have been reading some not so nice comments about the series and the color profiles in the Osprey Aces series. This is especially so for the artist of the German a/c.

My questions are:

1. how did the artist(s) arrive at the colors used in the profiles?
2. how much research went into the books?

The second question because of between what was written and what actually happened.

example from another board:

"Or the glaring example of the claims by a certain "Arkadii Sukov" against JG 54. Some of these claims are so easy to uncover as exaggerations (or even lies) that it's not funny anymore:

a) May 22 1942: Sukov claimed to have shot down 47-victory ace Otto-Bruno Loerzer of II./JG 54. I cannot verify this claim as I have never heard of this man (who is supposed to be Generalfeldmarschall Loerzer's son). The Luftwaffe claim lists supplied by Tony Wood do not list his name at all.

b) August 9 1942: Sukov claimed to have killed 102-victory ace Max-Helmut Ostermann of 7./JG 54. It may be possible that Sukov's LaGG-3 was responsible, but I have also heard the version of Ostermann being killed by a P-40.

c) September 18 1942: Sukov claimed to have shot-down Herbert Findeisen who bailed out and became POW. Bull**** (with capital B) !!!! Findeisen was a recon pilot until well into 1944. He did not join JG 54 until then and lead II./JG 54 into british captivity. Remarkable career for a soviet POW from 1942.

d) November 11 1942: Sukov claimed to have shot down 54-victory ace Hans-Joachim Heyer. Again Bull**** (with capital B) !!!! Heyer was listed as MIA on November 9 1942 after a collision with either his wingman or his last victim (a Yak) near Gorodok.

e) December 17 1944: Sukov claimed to have shot down 52-victory ace Heinrich Wefers. I have not managed to find this name anywhere else, so either he does not exist or is misspelt. I cannot check anything.

f) January 3 1945: Sukov claimed to have shot down 76-victory ace Hans-Joachim Kroschinski. And again - you may guess .... Bull****. Heyer was badly wounded on December 21 1944 when his Fw 190 was badly hit by Pe-2 gunners over Libau. He lost his eyesight, a leg and suffered other grievous wounds so he could not have flown two weeks later ..."
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:05

Andy Fletcher
Re: Osprey Aces books

See the following thread. I questioned the veracity Sukov's claims and the research that went into checking them back in 2005.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=475

With Osprey titles it's the author rather than the publisher that makes the difference.
Old 3rd September 2007, 19:43

Dick Powers
Re: Osprey Aces books..my take

The Osprey books are a mixed bag. Also, I believe that people expect too much from this series. After all, the series (Aces, Elite, and Combat Aircraft) are mass produced and targeted, I believe, for the casual reader, not serious aviation researcher.

As for the text, some are quite good; Polish, Italian, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Slovakian, Rumanian; these are written by qualified researchers and the subject matter isn’t presented on many other (English language) books. Many of the US 8th AF aces and Elite are written by Bill Hess, a long time authority. Several WWI titles are authored by Norman Franks.

And the profiles? Many of the artists are top-notch. OF course this is personal taste; Chris Davey for US WWII, Harry Dempsey for any WWI profiles (captions to his profiles indicate what in the profile is subjective and open to interpretation). Jim Laurier – his profiles for the AVG book are very nice.

On thing the Osprey books have going for them is photo reproduction. Generally, the photo quality is very good; sharply printed good contrast and nice paper.

Many of the books are quite good; particularly considering the price. But don’t expect the same level of original research to be invested in a $20 book that would be invested in a $75 book.

I have some of the “Aircam” series from the early 70s. Same publisher, same story.

So my advice? Chose the subject carefully. Evaluate the author and the artist (if profile accuracy is important to you.)
Old 4th September 2007, 07:52

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: Osprey Aces books..my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Powers View Post
As for the text, some are quite good; Polish, Italian, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Slovakian, Rumanian; these are written by qualified researchers and the subject matter isn’t presented on many other (English language) books.
Ehm ehm..please check six when using Osprey Slovakian (cannot say about Bulgarian) Aces as a source...People who really knows this subject handles this book as experts on Luftwaffe handles Osprey German Aces books...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"