Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th June 2005, 22:23

alex crawford
Friendly attack on Blenheim

Hi,

Just been reading 'Winged Bomb, A History of 39 Squadron' by Ken Delve. In it he mentions that on 8 August 1940 a formation of 39 Sqn Blenheims was attacked in error by a couple of 94 Sqn Gladiators.

One of the Blenheims was damaged before the Gladiators realised their mistake.

Would anyone know the names of these pilots?

Alex
Old 18th June 2005, 00:37

JeffK
Re: Friendly attack on Blenheim

First tip is that 94 Squadron and its Gladiators were at Khormakksar in Aden until April 1941.

39 Squadron served in the Middle East and East Africa
Old 18th June 2005, 01:03

alex crawford

Hi,

Not too sure I get the piont of your post.

39 Squadron was based at Sheikh Othman, Aden in May 1940. Their first offensive mission was on 12th June against the Italian airfield at Diredawa. 94 Sqn was also based at Sheikh Othman, although it did send detachments to East Africa when required.

The following is an extract from my research into 94 Sqn.

'On the 28th June an order came through detailing 94 Squadron to carry out an attack on the fuel dumps at Macaaca (Masaala) using incendiary ammunition. In order to carry out this attack the Squadron had to land at the forward airfield on Perim Island. Two Gladiators, N2279 and N2294, flown by Sqn Ldr Wightman and Plt Off Carter, and a Blenheim from 39 Squadron took off and flew up the Red Sea and successfully attacked the fuel dumps before the defending fighters could interfere. Later on in the day three more Blenheims from 39 Squadron raided the same base where they destroyed a bomb dump.'

In July the squadron took part in numerous operations often in the company of 94 Sqn Gladiators.

In November 1941 39 Sqn were ordered to proceed to Egypt.

So the two squadrons did operate together for a about 6 months. There is also a photo in the book that shows a 94 Sqn Glad with 39 Sqn Blenheims.

The incident on the 8th August between 39 Sqn and 94 Sqn probably did happen. Again I am looking for details of the two 94 Sqn pilots involved.

Alex
Old 19th June 2005, 07:08

JeffK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex crawford
Hi,

Not too sure I get the piont of your post.

39 Squadron was based at Sheikh Othman, Aden in May 1940. Their first offensive mission was on 12th June against the Italian airfield at Diredawa. 94 Sqn was also based at Sheikh Othman, although it did send detachments to East Africa when required.

The following is an extract from my research into 94 Sqn.

'On the 28th June an order came through detailing 94 Squadron to carry out an attack on the fuel dumps at Macaaca (Masaala) using incendiary ammunition. In order to carry out this attack the Squadron had to land at the forward airfield on Perim Island. Two Gladiators, N2279 and N2294, flown by Sqn Ldr Wightman and Plt Off Carter, and a Blenheim from 39 Squadron took off and flew up the Red Sea and successfully attacked the fuel dumps before the defending fighters could interfere. Later on in the day three more Blenheims from 39 Squadron raided the same base where they destroyed a bomb dump.'

In July the squadron took part in numerous operations often in the company of 94 Sqn Gladiators.

In November 1941 39 Sqn were ordered to proceed to Egypt.

So the two squadrons did operate together for a about 6 months. There is also a photo in the book that shows a 94 Sqn Glad with 39 Sqn Blenheims.

The incident on the 8th August between 39 Sqn and 94 Sqn probably did happen. Again I am looking for details of the two 94 Sqn pilots involved.

Alex
Alex,

My piont was that if anyone was trying to help you in your quest , knowing that the action took place in the Red sea area may have helped them rather than guessing if the action took place somewhere between Norway & Zanzibar.

Often little pieces of knowledge you are seeking could be hidden in histories of Air Bases, Wings or a general coverage of a campaign.

I assume you have read anything directly mentioning 39 & 94 Squadrons therefore you have to look elsewhere.