Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th November 2013, 00:09
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photos of 107 SQ Blenheim IV, OMo?, N6189 Crashed into the Cruiser Emden at Schillig Roads on 4 Sep 1939

Hello,

This photo may document a loss on the first Bomber Command raid of WW II, which was on Schillig Roads, at Wilhelmshaven, Germany on Sept 4, 1939.

1) I've located what I think is a photo of the sheared off tail of this a/c, which shows the code OMo? and the partial SN (N)618?, which could be laying on a concrete quay or apron after being hoisted from the water of a harbor. I'm hoping that other, dated photos, of this incident may exist to confirm the provenance of the photo. Alternatively, three of the Blenheim SN in this block were lost with 107 SQ that day: N6184, 6188 and 6189. By a process of elimination, did any other of the seven SN in this series serve in 107 SQ and go lost under circumstances that might be consistent with such a photo?

2) Does anyone have information or photography depicting the full code of this a/c?

We carry this loss in the EoE DB as:

"4 September 1939: Blenheim IV N6189. Disintegrated under intense AA fire during attack on the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer in the Schillig Roads off Wilhemshaven and crashed into port side of the cruiser Emden in the Hipper-Hafen. Flying Officer Herbert B. Lightoller, Sergeant O. L. D. Howells, and Aircraftsman First Class E. W. Lyon (of No.110 Squadron) all killed. Aircraft a write-off.
Eleven crew were killed aboard the Emden and a further 30 wounded. Wreckage recovered and landed on the apron of Fliegerdeich seaplane base."

This is one of two Blenheims lost in the harbor that day that were at least partially recovered by the Germans. Several salvaged wreckage photos of a second 107 SQ Blenheim, N6240, purported to be OMoK, also exist.

Who can help?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 24th November 2013, 19:49
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photos of 107 SQ Blenheim IV, OMo?, N6189 Crashed into the Cruiser Emden at Schillig Roads on 4 Sep 1939

Hello,

I've now confirmed that the referenced photo does show Blenheim IV N6189, shot down near Wilhemshaven on 4 September 1939. This part of the rear fuselage and tail was apparently salvaged from the water near the Emden and deposited on a nearby seaplane ramp. I'm still in need of further photos of this wreckage, hopefully one that will provide the full a/c code of OMo?

Who can help? I can't post the photo I have because of the arrangements that I have with the source.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 26th November 2013, 23:17

Emanuel1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photos of 107 SQ Blenheim IV, OMo?, N6189 Crashed into the Cruiser Emden at Schillig Roads on 4 Sep 1939

Dear Larry,

I would be very interested in this for my exhibition Emanuel School at War http://emanuelschoolatwar.wordpress.com

Herbert Brian Lightoller was an Old Emanuel boy. He is remembered on the School Chapel Memorial, see below. I have lots I can tell you about him. Send me an email through the Contact section on my blog.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Daniel.

Old 1st December 2013, 22:20
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Emanuel 1940,

Thanx for your reply. I've now located a couple of more photos of the wreckage of this a/c. Are you asking for copies of these photos? I cannot supply them due to contractual arrangements from the source, but they are from a public archive in France from which I'm sure that you can acquire copies. Is that what you're asking? I can supply the photo negative numbers which you can use to order them.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 9th December 2013, 22:20

Emanuel1940 is on a distinguished road

Dear Larry,

if you could send me the photo negative numbers and perhaps if you email me the name of the archive that would be brilliant. Please find my details on the contact page of my blog which is here http://emanuelschoolatwar.wordpress.com/contact/

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Daniel.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:19

wwrsimon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
We carry this loss in the EoE DB as:

"4 September 1939: Blenheim IV N6189. Disintegrated under intense AA fire during attack on the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer in the Schillig Roads off Wilhemshaven and crashed into port side of the cruiser Emden in the Hipper-Hafen. Flying Officer Herbert B. Lightoller, Sergeant O. L. D. Howells, and Aircraftsman First Class E. W. Lyon (of No.110 Squadron) all killed. Aircraft a write-off.
Eleven crew were killed aboard the Emden and a further 30 wounded. Wreckage recovered and landed on the apron of Fliegerdeich seaplane base."
Apologies for the slight thread hi-jack, but does that mean two Blenheims crashed into the Emden that day?

Chorley's BCL volume 1 has 110 Squadron's N6199 as hitting the ship after being hit by flak, killing the Blenheim's crew and 9 crew of the Emden. N6199's pilot was, co-incidentally, F/O H L Emden.

Regards

Simon
Old 11th December 2013, 09:12
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Simon,

Only one crashed into the Emden, but another was shot down nearby during that raid. Photos exist of both of them.

Regard,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 11th December 2013, 11:39

So, are there photos of N6199...?

Regards

Simon
Old 11th December 2013, 12:08
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

The a/c you are looking for is N6189, not N6199. Re-read my original post and you'll see the SN of the a/c that crashed into the Emden. And yes, there are photos of both a/c shot down that day, including N6189.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 11th December 2013, 12:27

No, I'm definitely looking for N6199, 110 Sqn, FTR 4th September 1939:

"...shot down by flak from warships, reported to have crashed into cruiser Emden, killing nine crew" - The Bristol Blenheim, Warner, page 148

"Hit by gun-fire from the Emden the Blenheim smashed into the ship's superstructure killing nine of her crew and injuring several others." - Bomber Command Losses, Volume 1, revised edition 2013, Chorley, page 77

Or are they both mistaken?

Regards

Simon