Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th May 2019, 11:01

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: Fw190 Spinner

Hi Peter,
From original VDM manual, the 9-12087.32 Haube is not listed. The closest numbered Haube is the 9-12087.34 for the Bf109G. However, It would seem much more likely that your number might be 9-12067.32? This number is correct for many variants of the Ju88, Ju188, and Do217 that had BMW801 engines. The Haube for the Fw190 A-B with BMW801C/D was the 9-12067.30.
From other sources, the Fw190D-9 is listed with the 9-21041.30 Haube. The Fw190D11/12/13 with 9-21036.34 Haube.
I dont have a reference at the moment for the Ta152 Haube. Cheers

SM
Old 13th May 2019, 13:51

miraul is on a distinguished road

Hi Schwarze-Man!
Thenx very much for reply. I bow my head to your knowledge.
Back to the topic. This spinners are from focke-wulf fighters
because were found in place when only made fw fighters,and was found with other fw190 parts. in this place was made version A and
probably other . about ta152 i know nothink. About numbers - on spinners they are places after plates. on a spinner and on a basis . close together. the number 9-12087.32-09-14 is
at the bottom of the base and could be different like on the spinnner .
Best regards Peter

Last edited by miraul; 30th November 2019 at 12:34.
Old 13th May 2019, 15:17

Hi Peter,
Yes, I agree, that number is definitely 9-12087.32-09.14 from what we can see.
This probably means that the particular component that is stamped with that number is a component that was designed originally for the 12087 Haube. However, it probably is being used in a different Haube as a component.
Unfortunately, I do not have all the drawings of all the Haube! It would be normal for the Haube to have two alloy makers id plates showing the Gerat Nr and the Werk Nr. These can be difficult to find but, would help. Cheers

SM
Old 13th May 2019, 15:21
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Most beautiful piece/spinner....congratulations!!
Old 13th May 2019, 15:37

Hi Peter,
Now I can see! In your 3rd photograph that you just posted, the id plates are just to the right of the red square around the locking apparture. You can see their rectangular shape with a rivet at each end. Unfortunately, they look to be in poor condition. You might be able to get some numbers with a magnifying glass and possibly, putting oil on the surface? Good luck!

SM
Old 14th May 2019, 01:20

Hi all. Thenx

Schwarze-man ,unfortunately this is just a shadow of plate. i can do unluckily nothink with it

I am sending additional details fw spinners. Next item have inside
inscriptions and drawings -its probably markings of the aluminum sheet manufacturer.
Inside circle have- like other fw190 spinners which I saw -starry ribbing

interesting fact is -inside circle is made by bakelit.I dont know for what.
Best regards Peter

Last edited by miraul; 30th November 2019 at 12:34.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:44

Hi Peter,

The 3355.1 is the metal specification and, the symbol is the metal makers trademark. The slight "starry" ribbing of the diaphram is to add stiffness to it. The "bakelit" ring is a support ring that fits tightly onto the front of the propellor hub (Nabe) to hold the Haube steady and prevent it distorting in flight. That ring is described as gummi in the manual. It would be a hard rubber. Many other support rings like that are made in Tufnol, which is a reinforced resin. Cheers

SM
Old 14th May 2019, 19:05

Broncazonk is on a distinguished road

The measurements provided by miraul correspond to Fw 190 A/F/G spinners.

The prints specify 510 mm as a diameter, and 570 mm as a total vertical (without base plate and band.)

I cannot find the CD that has the ogive drawing and equation. I'm still looking for that set of CDs and will provide the drawings when I find them.

Interestingly enough, the ogive does not appear to be consistent as the series progressed. Ask schwarze-man, but I believe they were constantly fiddling with the airflow into the fan. And also, each prop version had its own spinner. This topic is actually quite complex.

Thank you, miraul, for a fascinating post.

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 14th May 2019 at 19:51.
Old 14th May 2019, 20:05
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarze-man View Post
Hi Peter,

The 3355.1 is the metal specification and, the symbol is the metal makers trademark. The slight "starry" ribbing of the diaphram is to add stiffness to it. The "bakelit" ring is a support ring that fits tightly onto the front of the propellor hub (Nabe) to hold the Haube steady and prevent it distorting in flight. That ring is described as gummi in the manual. It would be a hard rubber. Many other support rings like that are made in Tufnol, which is a reinforced resin. Cheers

SM

Hello SM,
All of this is absolutely correct.
Just a point: When you write "are made in Tufnol", are you saying "are" or "were"? In this instance other rings on Luftwaffe airplanes?
If so, another British product used by Germany during the WWII ?
Since it was and is British patented I'm quite surprised.
As for me I used Téflon(r) in Naval constructions and, later (more recently), German made cold mills for the same (generaly speaking) use.

For the curious, a very interested internet page:
http://ahistoryoftufnol.org/whatistufnol/index.html

Regards,
Franck.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarze-man View Post
Hi Peter,

SM
Hi SM
Now all make sence . Thanks for clarifying these issues
Greetings
Peter