Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th October 2017, 00:14
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road
Re: Werner Schroer

Dear Jeremy,
Thank you very much for your answer.

Dear Adriano,
Thank you for your answer too. I was only curious because I had first thought he had been wounded, but it doesn't seem to have been the case.
However, I meant May 1944, so Schroer can't have been in Africa any more, as the African campaign ended in April 1943.
Old 6th October 2017, 04:12

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Hi Teresa

Off subject Schroer was a genuinely nice guy. Probably the second best Luftwaffe pilot in Afrika(after Marseille). Also note he was an honest claimer.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Yes...he had a VERY good strike ratio (number of vics vs the number of sorties he flew); and one time I saw him interviewed in the 'Whirlwind' episode of the famous 'World At War' series from the early 1970s. He told a story about leading his green pilots against an 8th AF raid & he them to 'close their eyes' so they couldn't see the tracers fired at them. Oh and he spoke incredibly good & dare I say, 'urbane' English-that surprised me at the time.
Old 6th October 2017, 16:02
Alter Hase

Dear Nick,
Thank you very much for the aditional information about Werner Schroer. It is very interesting and he seems to have been a fascinating person.
(As for my original question, it will probably remain unanswered.)
Old 6th October 2017, 19:20
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Werner Schroer

Hello

Many thanks to all for this very interesting thread. I noticed that according to the scans of his flight book that I have seen online he served with Fr. Fl. S.G. Ouedlinberg from 29 June 1944. Does anyone have some additional information about this unit? Is the loss list information available for the aircraft was he flying when he was injured on 4 August 1944? I have seen it mentioned as a Bf 109 and other times as a Fw 190.

http://aufhimmelzuhause.com/id240.htm

Horrido!

Leo
Old 7th October 2017, 02:47

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Maria View Post
Dear Nick,
Thank you very much for the aditional information about Werner Schroer. It is very interesting and he seems to have been a fascinating person.
(As for my original question, it will probably remain unanswered.)
Thank you for your reply;

Oh and I seem to be having some problems with your request...I will work on that to the best of my tech limited abilities.
Old 8th October 2017, 02:13
Alter Hase

Dear Nick,
Thank you for your reply too. To be frank, I have the impression that you are joking (as in those error messages: 'the server has a problem processing your request'). However, should you come across any relevant information, I'll be grateful. :-)
Old 8th October 2017, 03:35

NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Maria View Post
Dear Nick,
Thank you for your reply too. To be frank, I have the impression that you are joking (as in those error messages: 'the server has a problem processing your request'). However, should you come across any relevant information, I'll be grateful. :-)
You're welcome & I will; but as for my technical issue, I simply needed to refresh the screen & try again, so I was able to respond to the request.