Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th March 2018, 11:05
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Tenente Furio Lauri 1940-1943

Hello,

I have two questions on the above Italian pilot, Tenente Furio Lauri (more details there: http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/italy_lauri.htm)

1) The above site and my books all have details on two and one shared victories during the campaign of the winter 1940-1941.

The website then said "By late 1941, Lauri had claimed 11 victories".

But none of the books I have on the period (MAW series, Shores books on Malta, Balkans, East Africa, and magazine on Italian air activity over the Eastern Front) had any of this victory, or any mention at all of Lauri after his second victory in February 1941.

My guess is that the above 11 victories are either a typo error, or an old source now outdated. But if someone has something about it I am interested.

2) Then on 22 January 1943 all my sources (the above website, MAW book vol 3 and the old Fighters over the Desert) say that Lauri was shot down, probably by AA fire, while flying a ground attack mission with a G50bis. But the location differ:
_ Fighters over Tunisia: baled out in Cheu area.
_ MAW: baled out in Chen area.
_ website: target south of Sidi bou Zid.

While Sidi bou Zid is easy to find, I have not been able to find a place called Cheu or Chen in Tunisia. Can anyone help ?