Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd January 2014, 05:44

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
352nd FG question

Gents, I have a little follow-up question. I recently found this artist’s impression of P-51B "Carol" probably flown by it’s regular pilot 1Lt Ray Mitchell of the 328th Fighter Squadron/ 352nd Fighter Groupdowning a unusually camouflaged Bf109. I say unusual, in that the mottled pattern is what I have seen on “beute” Dewoitines and Morane Saulniers, not on Messerschmitts.

The painting comes from a merchandising website “zazzle”…add stuff onto t-shirts, coffee-mugs, etc. Is the painting based on an actual claim for a Bf109….unfortunately I have no Ray Mitchell listed in Frank Olynyk’s Stars & Bars, but not surprisingly as other internet sources indicate he only had one victory claim…does anyone have any details?

Is anyone familiar with this style of camouflage (ignoring the actual colours) on a Bf109?

Or is it possible that the incident involves a mistakenly claimed Dewoitine 520 or MS406?

Regards,
...geoff
Old 23rd January 2014, 06:39
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Dewoitine 520

Hello,

12/25/1944 - 328 FS - 0943-1233 - 1/Lt Raymond R. Mitchell - Me 109 - SW of Koblenz, Germany. 352VCB/54-3; PER.

Mitchell's total claims - 1/0/0.

Victory List No.5. USAAF (European Theater) Credits for the Destruction of Enemy Aircraft in Air-to-Air Combat World War 2.
Olynyk,Frank.
Aurora:Author,1987
pp.186,289 & 808

Col.
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:29
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 352nd FG question

This may help. From my good Friend, Sam Sox Jr. official photo collector and historian of the 352nd

On Christmas Day, 1944, Mitchell while flying in Preddy's flight, claimed a single 109 and was credited with the claim in USAF Historical Study 85. The reference of this action can be found on page 155 Bluenosed Bastards of Bodney. Mission Encounter Reports were not being filed while the Squadron was at Y-29 sorry to say. Possibly the artist did some research and came up with the German units that were in the area of that action and made an assumption as to what makings were being displayed. Do not recall who the artist was that painted that but I was able to give Troy White a good enough general interpretation from the only photo we have of the name application on Carol. Also, Mitchel is still with us and the painting may have been completed as a token of appreciation for his service with the 352nd FG.

(JRB) If I may add a comment, it is fairly certain that Preddy's claims that day were against JG 27. That might explain the artist's "interpretation" of late war schemes for Ks and G-10s
Old 24th January 2014, 06:38

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
Re: 352nd FG question

Thanks Col. Thanks John.

Looks like another loose end most likely tied up. I'll do some more research to confirm where the Jagdschule units were based and if any in the general vicinity of the claim, but John's scenario regarding "artist's interpretation of available data" seem very plausible.

Regards,
...geoff