Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th March 2012, 08:35
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking information on Stab KG26 He111 nicknamed "Hosenbrummer!" for Profile art

Hello,

One of the planned He111 profiles for the PC is what I think is 1H+DA (but could be 1H+BA) of Stab./KG26. It carries a cartoonish nose art of a fat farting clown in a top hat with the nickname "Hosenbrummer!" next to it. I've got four photos of this one in the EoE photo DB, one of which shows the full code, but which is not entirely clear between 1H+DA and 1H+DB. I'm posting a copy of two of our photos here, one of which may help us interprete whether this was plane "B" or "D." This unit only participated in ops against Poland until Sept. 12th, when it transferred west for operations over the North Sea.

It seems likely that this artwork was drawn from some cartoon character or crude humor literature of the time, and it's possible that this, if it can be located, may give us color guides to work from in our artwork. Anybody got any ideas on where to find this info? What does the word "Hosenbrummer" translate to in English?

Besides clear info on the coding, can anyone provide photos showing the rest of the a/c, including the full tail and a possible W.Nr., and any possible info on the crew and fate of the aircraft?

The Humbie He111H-2, 1H+JA, shot down in the Lammermuir Hills on 28.10.39, was very well photographed and provides an excellent guide to the appearance of unit aircraft during this period. That a/c, incidentally, will also probably be one of our color profiles for the EoE project.

Again, thanx in advance for any help.

Regards,
Old 19th March 2012, 11:03

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking information on Stab KG26 He111 nicknamed "Hosenbrummer!" for Profile art

Hi Larry

These posts on LEMB may help:

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...r&fromsearch=1

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...=1&#entry79853

Cheers

Chris
Old 19th March 2012, 19:14
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking information on Stab KG26 He111 nicknamed "Hosenbrummer!" for Profile art

Chris,

Thanx. Had noticed that post previously on the LEMB, but didn't fully integrate the info about the meaning of "Hosenbrummer" into my DB. Still need to confirm the a/c code: "D: or "B," and I'm still hoping that this will turn up in popular cartoon art from Germany in the 1920s or 30s, which might give us some color info for the figure. And, of course, I'd love to connect this to a particular crew.

Regards,
Old 19th March 2012, 20:17

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry

My take on it was that the cartoon was either the French President M. Daladier (the cartoon does have a similarity to Daladier's semitic features) or a 'western plutocrat' speaking out of their bottom, as a number of KG 27's other cartoons poke fun at their enemies, for example Chamberlain's Umbrella on 1G+MS and 1G+DS.

Cheers from sunny England!

Chris