Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th September 2008, 12:50

klemchen is on a distinguished road
RLM color question

Hello,
there were two yellows on the RLM palette, Gelb 04 with perhaps a very slight orange tinge, and Gelb 27 which was more like lemon yellow. Verbally, 04 was also called Chromgelb and Lehmgelb (clay yellow), 27 Postgelb. As far as I know, 04 was originally intended as code color for fuel, but it was also widely used as a general marking color. I used to believe that 27 was intended as unit color of the third Staffel of a Gruppe, because in that range of numbers there were other colors for similar purposes. Since 04 was used as recognition color for axis aircraft in the east and elsewhere, I imagined that it was also often used as Staffel color, but only inofficially on unit level. Now some time ago I ran across a statement from the early years of the Luftwaffe saying that the color for the third Staffel of a Gruppe was to be Lehmgelb. This leaves the purpose of 27 completely unclear. In the literature I have not found a hint. Although e.g. Ken Merrick (like other authors) has 27 on several color samples in his recent two volumes book on Luftwaffe colors, he does not explain in his text what it was used for (if at all). Can anybody give an answer?
Thanks in advance,
klemchen
Old 9th September 2008, 18:55

Norbert Schuchbauer
Re: RLM color question

The info I have is that RLM 27 was to be used for interior markings on engines and exterior stenciling. It may have to do with the composition of the paint itself to make it heat resistent. Therefore the hue is different.

Regards,

Norbert
Old 10th September 2008, 08:14

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road

The number 27 or 04 only marked the tone of the color, not the use or corresponding composition for it, so in other words there could have been one 04 and one 27 for metal surfaces, once for canvas/wood and so on but they would both be called 04 and 27 respectively. The compostion, properties and use was indicated in a (four digit?) number that determined these things and was placed in front of the numbers we know as the RLM colors. I'm writing from memory here but I can always check it out further if you're interested.

Cheers! / Anders
Old 12th September 2008, 11:31

klemchen is on a distinguished road

Hello,
thank you for the answers. The explanation sounds plausible. I was aware of the last two digits of the paint designation referring just to the tone of the color and not its chemical base, but maybe the pigments of 27 were more resistant to heat than those of 04.
Regards,
klemchen